Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Importing into projects in Aperture: Date format?

I can't seem to get my head around importing automatically into a project using a common professional folder date format (eg 2012_04_17) instead of Aperature's "Apr 17, 2012" date format. More than 38000 of my photos are in the former format naming style while the latter is terribly and awfully annoying. Maybe it wouldn't be so bloody annoying if Aperature stayed true to it's organization style in the latter date format but it names the projects in this style and then proceedes to reorganize it in alphabetical order. If I could have Aperature import it directly it into the former style everything would just fall into place even with alphabetical folder organization (in this case numerical) and keep everything the way I've been organizing it throughout the years, but I just can't find the way........Is there a way (other than manually)?!?

Help.

Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Apr 17, 2012 1:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 17, 2012 3:03 PM

The short answer is that Aperture won;t do this without some help. The project name format is fixed.

I have written two scripts that setup a library in Year, Month, day format (year and month are folders, day is a project). Here is an example from my library:

User uploaded file

One script you run to change an already existing library into this structure, the other script is installed as an import action script which gets run each time you import images into Aperture.

You can find the scripts at Aperture Import Action Scripts at my web site. If you decide to give them a try I'd suggest playing around with them on a test library before using them on your production library.

regards

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 17, 2012 3:03 PM in response to BeaverBill

The short answer is that Aperture won;t do this without some help. The project name format is fixed.

I have written two scripts that setup a library in Year, Month, day format (year and month are folders, day is a project). Here is an example from my library:

User uploaded file

One script you run to change an already existing library into this structure, the other script is installed as an import action script which gets run each time you import images into Aperture.

You can find the scripts at Aperture Import Action Scripts at my web site. If you decide to give them a try I'd suggest playing around with them on a test library before using them on your production library.

regards

Apr 18, 2012 1:37 AM in response to Frank Caggiano

Thanks Frank,

I was a little "button happy" and credited you with 5 points when it should have been 10 (oops), now I find that I can't change it.

When I get a chance I'll give your solution a go albiet it will take much longer than your timely and courtious response to finally get the time. Thanks a bunch once again Frank, you're a star 🙂

Sep 19, 2012 12:31 PM in response to Frank Caggiano

Thanks a lot Frank, for those really helpful scripts!

I'd like to modify your scripts a little, unfortunately I'm not all that familiar with Applescript.

I'd like to have the folder structure YYYY / YYYY-MM / Project

I managed to change the script so it creates the folders accordingly,

but if a Folder with the same name already exists, it creates another one with "(1)" appended.

Here's my try:

http://bit.ly/PI4FiI

Can you help me please? :-)

Importing into projects in Aperture: Date format?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.