Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't connect external monitor to Windows 7 bootcamp Macbook Pro 15 - ATI 6770

I recently puchased a Macbook pro 15 in 2012. I have bootcamp set up and am running windows 7 home on the bootcamp partition. When in windows I am unable to use an external monitor or overhead projector. I have updated all of the ATI drivers and have fiddled with screen resolutions and display refresh rates to no avail. I am using a cheapo mini displayport to VGA adapter which I have confirmed works while I am using the mac side of the machine.

Unfortunately I have to use windows while at work and using a projector to display data is essential.

I am out of ideas at this point -- Help - - Please!!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Apr 17, 2012 2:31 PM

8 replies

Apr 23, 2012 7:03 AM in response to Jaygyver

Thanks for the reply. I first went to the AMD website. After reading through other posts I realized that I should update the bootcamp drivers. So...I switched over to Mac and burned new bootcamp drivers to CD - rebooted in windows and installed the new drivers and: No change.

I have tried very many of the different fixes and still no joy. The computer realizes that it is connected to an external monitor/projector. When I bring up the Display preferences it even tells me the model number. Still - anything I plug into thinks there is no signal coming from the display port.

I have gone through all of the video modes and refresh rates to ensure I wasnt outputting something the monitor couldnt handle

any thoughts or leads to other posts?

Apr 23, 2012 9:28 PM in response to shalpin81

I was hoping some of the multi/monitor people would show up and help you but I guess they missed it.😟

Have you gone into the Properties of the video drivers (via the Device Manager) and let it Update Driver either through the internet or migrate to the newer Boot Camp video drivers you recently downloaded?

The only other thing I can suggest is to completely delete the video drivers then reinstall them manually either through the Programs and Features control panel or in the Device Manager/ Video drivers and see if it "takes".

Don't forget you do have an Apple Software Updater in Windows also. It updates the Windows support software from Apple. (Boot Camp)

Sorry I can't help more........

Apr 24, 2012 10:51 AM in response to Jaygyver

Ok. Solved it (somewhat). The mac adapter to VGA does not work. I have tried multiple mini display to VGA to ensure that I did not have a defective adapter. The mini-display to DVI did work flawlessly on the windows side.

Looks like bootcamp wont support the VGA output - even with the latest drivers.

Now I just need another adapter to VGA so that I can actually hook up to a overhead projector.

Sometimes I think it would be easier to just own a windows laptop...then I boot into OSX and forget all about that 🙂

Thanks for your help

May 8, 2012 6:00 AM in response to shalpin81

Alright - I have the solution. After browsing through some community articles for MBPs with Nvidia cards I saw that someone had recommended the cirago active converter MDP -> VGA. This MDP->VGA adapter works in Windows 7!

Product Link: http://www.amazon.com/Cirago-DisplayPort-Active-Adapter-DPA2011/dp/B005AT2KTK/re f=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336481976&sr=8-1

Can't connect external monitor to Windows 7 bootcamp Macbook Pro 15 - ATI 6770

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.