Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

email sender's address has percent sign (%) in it....

Hello. I'm trying to figure out why there is a percent sign (%) in the middle of a friend's email address when I receive it. It is certainly not part of his email address.

It has gotten frustrating because I can't just hit "reply". If I do, I have to then edit the address and remove the % sign before I send the email.

He has no idea why this is happening either. Apparently, no one else that he emails has complained about this.

I'm using mac mail, but the % sign shows up in his address even on my android phone.

Any thoughts?

Thank you!!

Posted on Apr 17, 2012 3:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 17, 2012 4:29 PM

Hello,

Is there a number after the % sign that might stand for a strange character?

See...

Then there is the % address operator: user %domainB@domainA is first sent to domainA, which expands the rightmost (in this case, the only) percent sign to an @ sign. The address is now user@domainB, and the mailer happily forwards your message to domainB, which delivers it to user. This type of address is sometimes referred to as “Ye Olde ARPAnet Kludge,” and its use is discourage

http://www.faqs.org/docs/linux_network/x-087-2-mail.address.html

Is it listed that way in Mail's Previous Recipients window, or in Address Book?

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 17, 2012 4:29 PM in response to guitar guy

Hello,

Is there a number after the % sign that might stand for a strange character?

See...

Then there is the % address operator: user %domainB@domainA is first sent to domainA, which expands the rightmost (in this case, the only) percent sign to an @ sign. The address is now user@domainB, and the mailer happily forwards your message to domainB, which delivers it to user. This type of address is sometimes referred to as “Ye Olde ARPAnet Kludge,” and its use is discourage

Is it listed that way in Mail's Previous Recipients window, or in Address Book?

May 1, 2012 7:39 AM in response to BDAqua

Hey Aqua, after I removed the incorrect address (with the % symbol in place of the @ sign) from the Previous Recipients window, it didn't fix it.

I still continue to receive his email address with the % symbol instead of the @ sign in the "From" field.

And weirder than that is that the "From" address also adds an extra "@hotmail.com"

So, if his address is xxxxxx@hotmail.com, I receive it as xxxxxx%hotmail.com@hotmail.com

Very odd.

May 1, 2012 9:52 AM in response to guitar guy

OK, I think I found the reason...

Then there is the % address operator: user %domainB@domainA is first sent to domainA, which expands the rightmost (in this case, the only) percent sign to an @ sign. The address is now user@domainB, and the mailer happily forwards your message to domainB, which delivers it to user. This type of address is sometimes referred to as “Ye Olde ARPAnet Kludge,” and its use is discouraged.

email sender's address has percent sign (%) in it....

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.