Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Segmentation fault: 11

Java doesn't work properly any more on my MacBook Pro after I updated to Java for OS X Lion 2012-003. If I log in as as a regular user and type 'java -version', I get the error message 'Segmentation fault: 11'. After browsing the web, I found a suggestion that it might be a permissions issue, and it is since 'sudo java -version' works. Unfortunately, the solution suggested on that webpage (sudo chgrp -R staff /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework) did not solve the problem for me. Does anyone have another idea?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2009), Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Apr 18, 2012 1:20 AM

6 replies

Apr 18, 2012 1:01 PM in response to HippoBochum

Here is a general intro to the recovery partition.

Boot the recovery partition (HT4718), and use Disk Utility from the Utilities Menu to verify the volume, and to repair the permissions.

That second HT4718 Apple document describes the Lion recovery partition boot process in some detail, but you will not be using the erasure or related mechanisms that are (also) described there.

Again, you'll be looking for and using the "standard" Disk Utility volume verification and protection tools, and not the disk-erasure tools.

Segmentation fault: 11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.