Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will restoring my device use up two of my ten device count?

I've had a rather unfortunate past month when it comes to my electronics. I recently had to restore both my iPad 1 and my Apple TV 2, as well as reinstalled Windows 7 on my PC, all three of which were signed up for iTunes Match (I also have a second PC signed up, as well as my iPhone, bringing my total registered device count to 5). I know that at least with the PC, doing this requires me to authorize my PC again after the reinstalled OS and to deauthorize the old OS if I don't want it to count anymore.

My question regards how many devices my iTunes Match is still registered to, since users are limited to 10 devices (we are limited to ten, right?). Without counting any restores, I'm at five, but if Apple is counting the restored iPad, AppleTV, or PC, I could be looking at having up to eight devices already used up, assuming I have no new problems!

As someone looking to purchase a MacBook Pro, new iPad, and possibly a new Apple TV in the near future, this is extremely concerning to me. Could someone please tell me whenther or not the restored devices are indeed being counted twice,cand if so, if there is any way for me to de-register the old authorizations, similar to the way I can deauthorize a computer?

ITunes Match

Posted on Apr 18, 2012 6:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2012 8:02 AM

No, restoring does not use up a device slot. I've restored my iPhone a handful of times and it only gets counted once.

1 reply

Will restoring my device use up two of my ten device count?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.