Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Solid State Drive = Gets stuck

Hello,

I recently bought Intel's 520 Series Solid State Drive. I swapped my hard drive with the SSD, booted on a Snow Leopard disk. Opened Disk Utility, formatted my drive (Mac OS Extended Journaled) and installed Snow Leopard. After I installed the applications I needed, I finally upgraded to OS X Lion. But now I can't browse the net, work on applications or do any other task without getting a beach ball every 2 - 3 minutes. My MacBook Pro gets stuck a lot for some reason. (I never had this issue with my older hard drive)

I have the latest version of OS X Lion, but no firmware update was available for my SSD. I have an early 2011 MacBook Pro.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how this can be fixed?

Thanks.

Posted on Apr 18, 2012 7:37 AM

12 replies

Apr 19, 2012 10:28 AM in response to Dilster3k

What model MBP do you have? Older systems don't handle SSDs as well as newer system. Especially systems that don't do the 6GB SATA interface, which is what the Intel 520 series is. Although they state the drive interface is baclwards compatible that does always mean it will work correctly on older systems that only do SATA 1 transfers, 1.5GB.

You could try a Clean Fresh install of Lion without first installing SL. That may or may not work.

Just boot to the recovery HD partition and erase the Macintosh HD partition then re-download and install Lion.

Dec 28, 2012 10:10 AM in response to Lady Engineer

I would recommend verifying that the firmware on your SSD is current before you start messing with TRIM. In regards to TRIM, it's not neccessary to enable it but if it solves your issues then go for it. I installed OCZ SSD on my Macbook Pro with TRIM disabled and I don't have any issues or kernal panics. Macs(desktop and laptops) are very finicky when it comes to SSD's because it all depends on the firmware and controller the SSD uses plus year/model of your Mac.

Solid State Drive = Gets stuck

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.