Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I hook up a Qurada700 and an old imac

The Qurada 700 has graphic software and files I need. I'd like to string them together. Can I do this and how?

Posted on Apr 18, 2012 7:31 AM

6 replies

Apr 18, 2012 8:14 AM in response to sp0550

The Quadra 700 has built-in Ethernet. An external AAUI-15 to RJ-45 adapter (such as the Apple Ethernet Twisted-Pair Transceiver M0437) is needed in order to use standard cables.

http://support.apple.com/kb/SP235

This means that you per se could use Ethernet for transfers. However, exactly how depends upon the operating systems involved. It would help if you could post back with the system versions on both machines.

Jan

Apr 18, 2012 9:45 AM in response to sp0550

Do you have access to both computers now? If so, have a look at About This... under the Apple menu on the Quadra. You should see the exact system version there. For the iMac, you should be able to find the corresponding operating system data under System Profiler. There are important differences regarding the file sharing or file transfer possibilities, so more specific information is really needed.

The best way is probably to search for the adapter (there are third-party transceivers as well) at an online auction site. Should not be expensive.

BTW, do you have an external serial modem for the Quadra, and does the iMac have a working internal modem? Is an external USB floppy drive available?

Jan

Apr 22, 2012 12:25 AM in response to sp0550

sp0550

Before you get too excited about ethernet connections, ask yourself a few questions. What type of files are on the Quadra? What application is needed to open the files? Do I have software on the iMac that will read the old files.

We still use a Quadra 700 on a regular basis. We use Filemaker 2.1 for data files. They are now advertising for Filemaker 12. Filemaker 9 will not open the 2.1 database from the Quadra but it will open the data files which are exported from 2.1 as a tab deliminated file.

Please post back with the name of the software that created the graphics files. Also please post back with the name of a large city near you. We may be able to find a user group in your area that could help you find hardware. We have all that in Washington state but we do not know where you are.

Ji~m

Apr 23, 2012 6:34 AM in response to Appaloosa mac man

Not sure of the software used, it's a friends Quadra. We were hoping to get both back up and networked together. The iMac is fine, I sold it to her. I'm near Chicago. I guess we need the original software to load onto the iMac. Don't know if thats possible. I got an RJ-45 adapter off ebay, when it gets here I'll know more of these answers. I do Thank You for the help so far.

How do I hook up a Qurada700 and an old imac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.