Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

dmg files are not executable - need to reinstall Lion( but will mount)

iMac 27, 2.8 Quad Core, 16 GB RAM, 3 TB HD running 10.7.3

Hi,

lead in > Lately I am having trouble with Aperture 3.2.3 who doesn't let me make some image adjustments "out of the blue". To correct this I usially have to reinstall Aperture from scratch. Trying to do so made me find out that I can't execute the Aperture trial 3.1 dmg file or any other dmg file on my iMac. When i double klick on a dmg file it will flash once and then just sit there doing nothing. The dmg "Get Info" window shows that the file is associated with the DiskImageMounter.app as supposed to. I have no glue why it won't execute these files and open the installer. I have tried everything from executing with disk image to repair permissions etc, etc. and I have read all forums and threats I could find but to no avail.

The only way to fix this is reinstalling OSX 10.7.3. After reinstalling Lion everything is just fine - for a while. I am able to reinstall aperture with the trial version dmg file. All other dmg files will also execute. For now I was able to work with my reinstalled system for the last seven days with no glitches, but last night same problem occured as described earlier. I have also checked my harddrive with disk utility and onyx. Both apps say HD is just fine. I wonder how long I will be able to work this time before desaster strikes me again. I should probably mention that the non executable dmg file problem only kicks in after I experience the Aperture problems I mentioned.

Should I reformat my HD and reinstall all my content and OS from a clone Super Duper copy that I have? I appreciate any comments/suggestioms you guys might come up with. Thanks.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2), Quad Core 2.8, 27, 8GB RAM

Posted on Apr 18, 2012 11:01 AM

1 reply

Apr 18, 2012 11:48 AM in response to nyappleman

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

If you’re running Mac OS X 10.7 or later, open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Console in the page that opens.

Click the Clear Display icon in the toolbar. Try the action again. Post any messages that appear in the Console window – the text, please, not a screenshot.

dmg files are not executable - need to reinstall Lion( but will mount)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.