Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adobe Reader Hijacks Preview as Safari's Default PDF Viewer

Installing the latest Adobe Reader causes Preview to be overwritten by Reader as the default PDF reader in Safari. There's a setting in Adobe Reader prefs that should aloow one to change the setting, but it is greyed out. Thanks Adobe! You'll need to go to your HD/Library/Internet Plug-in folder and remove the Adobe plug-ins. Quit and restart Safari, then Preview is default again.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Apr 18, 2012 11:28 AM

21 replies

Feb 12, 2013 3:41 AM in response to Bruce Kieffer

Thanks very much for your post Bruce.

I was sick of adobe reader always bugging me with updates when i didn't use it so i killed it with appzapper thinking that would be that. However the two plug-ins in the library/internet plug-ins folder were still there and instead of defaulting back to preview i just got a message to reinstal adobe.

After finding your post, I deleted the adobe plug-ins and preview is back and hopefully all remnants of adobe reader are gone.

Much appreciated

Jul 1, 2013 5:03 AM in response to Bruce Kieffer

I have removed these plugins, but then they appear again. I notice that I cannot right click a PDF in Safari and "Open in Preview". They must get installed for each update?

So I had to remove Adobe Reader since they are changing settings. This has gone on long enough that they have had time to fix it in an update. So I must assume that it is intentional.

Adobe Reader Hijacks Preview as Safari's Default PDF Viewer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.