Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari 5.1.5 not redirecting (10.6.8)

Today, I have been having problems with Safari on a local WiFi spot (which Firefox doesn't have problems with) - with Firefox, I get the iniitial screen with a login button, click on that, get asked about it redirecting (to the - firewall? - server, which I allow it to do, it goes through another screen and then I can go wherever after that.

With Safari lately (I haven't been using it much, so it's at least since the Java Update (7, I think was the most recent for Snow Leopard)), I get a 'Redirecting...' in the upper left part of the window, the window 'blinks', and I get same message, and it keeps repeating without seeming to go any further. So I'm not sure if Firefox gives me the notice, but Safari just recycles the page (endlessly, it seems), or what is going on. Safari doesn't give me the beachball, either.

I checked Safari in the Finder, and it does NOT have 32-bit run mode checked, nor the Rosetta checkbox. MBPro (2.66GHz Unibody, March 2009 model, with 8GB of RAM and 320GB hard drive).

Anyone actually know what is going on with Safari? It's useless to me currently, as my internet service is the local WiFi spots ('nuther story there I won't go into for now). Looks like it will be Firefox (11) for a while.

Mac OS X (10.6.8), MBPro 15", iMac 24", PowerBook (FW)

Posted on Apr 18, 2012 1:47 PM

4 replies

Apr 18, 2012 2:34 PM in response to JimRCGMO

Hi Jim...

Try using OpenDNS. Only takes a minute to setup. If it doesn't help, it's very easy to remove.

Use OpenDNS for better speed, more security, includes anti phishing filters, prevents re directs, blcoks the flashback troajn, and it's free.

Open System Preferences / Preferences then select the Network tab. Click the Advanced tab then click the DNS tab.

Click +

Enter these addresses exactly as you see them here.

Click +

Then click OK.

If that didn't help, just delete those addresses from the DNS tab.

Apr 18, 2012 4:42 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Maybe you missed part of what I said. I have the problem with Safari, NOT with Firefox (so making a system-wide preference change seems to be overkill, unless you work for OpenDNS).

I ONLY experienced the problem when I went to use Safari today (which - at least pre-5.1.5 - did NOT exhibit the 'reloading loop' problem). Previously (just not sure if it happened only after the Java Update 7, or earlier and I just missed it because I rarely use Safari - I like the better security and ad-blocking options in Firefox, where I have my add-ons set to block almost all the ads (which Firefox would otherwise be wasting time trying to load).

Also, my experience on this particular WiFi spot is, I pretty much only get directed to OpenDNS when the connection is slow/slowed down (a tip-off for me that I need to call their tech support, often because they need to reset the WAP). Otherwise, when the connection is faster, I don't see OpenDNS - so to me, I associate OpenDNS with slower connections (in this case, YMMV)

Apr 25, 2012 6:29 AM in response to I amDavid

David,

Not sure which way you intended your question, but:

1) Yes.😉

and

2) Under the Safari on the menubar, pull down to 'Report bugs to Apple' (which I did).

And you may be correct - but, I would hope that Apple would also provide a way to turn that 'safety feature' off temporarily (especially for a specific webpage, as in the case I experienced). As it is, Safari is currently rendered useless for use on my local WiFi network (my primary internet connection), since it doesn't allow me to complete that WiFi network's login procedure. NOT good, Apple!

Hope that helps.

Jim

Safari 5.1.5 not redirecting (10.6.8)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.