Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will Apple Genius Bar install old OS X free?

I have a late 2005 (Or 2004, not really sure) 1.5GHz 15 inch PowerBook G4 and I recently restored the software on it to 10.3 (Panther). I have an iBook Clamshell SE Firewire running 10.4 (Tiger). I want to bring the PowerBook in and update it to 10.5 Leopard. Apple updated the clamshell free of charge but that was because it wasn't working on the other software.

I want to know if Apple would update the PowerBook G4 free of charge even though there is nothing wrong with the software.

Thanks for any help that you can offer.

PowerBook, Mac OS X (10.3.x), installing new hd soon

Posted on Apr 18, 2012 3:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2012 3:09 PM

No. Leopard is not a free upgrade. Its cost is $129.00, but Apple no longer sells Leopard. You will need to go to eBay, Amazon.com, or Google search for a copy. And, you must be sure to only purchase the retail version of Leopard. Do not buy cheaper copies with gray labels. These discs are machine specific and may not work on your computer.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 18, 2012 3:09 PM in response to Kharps

No. Leopard is not a free upgrade. Its cost is $129.00, but Apple no longer sells Leopard. You will need to go to eBay, Amazon.com, or Google search for a copy. And, you must be sure to only purchase the retail version of Leopard. Do not buy cheaper copies with gray labels. These discs are machine specific and may not work on your computer.

Apr 18, 2012 9:39 PM in response to Kharps

The short answer? Who know's? Take it into the bar, and you might find a someone that is having a good day and won't mind bending the rules a bit to help out a fellow machead. Stranger things have been known to happen.

However, the information you have been given is correct. It was not a free upgrade from Apple from the start. And to be honest is a rather pricey beast now on the open market. I was lucky enough to optain my copy when I purchased this powerbook. It was advertised with 10.5 but arrived with 10.4. So in the end I really lucked out.

The advice is correct, search eBay, Amazon and what not, keep your eyes out for a full retail install and do not pay the horrid prices many are asking.

~Drake

Will Apple Genius Bar install old OS X free?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.