Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Locked iPhone backup

How do I backup iPhone 4s that I forgot the passcode to. I know how to reset the iPhone (no technical noob here.) I am on iOS 5.1 if that helps. I need the backup before the iPhone is reset because I have data on it I want to keep. Please mention every solution possible and thank you in advance.

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.1

Posted on Apr 18, 2012 5:14 PM

6 replies

Dec 16, 2013 6:49 PM in response to TheRagSwag

If you encrypt an iPhone backup in iTunes and then forget your password, you will not be able to restore from backup and your data will be unrecoverable. If you forget the password, you can continue to back up and use the device, however you will not be able to restore the encrypted backup to any device without the password. You do not need to enter the password for your backup each time you back up or sync.

If you cannot remember the password and want to start again, you can use a iPhone Data Recovery to unlock iTunes backup password at first so that you can recover data from locked iPhone. Or follow this way http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4053 to know more about iOS backup

<Link Edited by Host>

Dec 16, 2013 5:32 PM in response to TheRagSwag

If the passcode has been changed on the phone since the last backup and you can not remember the passcode, then you can't back it up. The only hope would be if iCloud backups were enabled AND the phone is not yet disabled, in which case you should plug it in to power where it can connect to a known WiFi network. It should back up to iCloud over night. Then you can force it into recovery mode, restore it, then restore the iCloud backup.

Oct 22, 2015 12:19 AM in response to TheRagSwag

Hi, have you backed up your iPhone data to iTunes or iCloud before?

If your iPhone is locked and you want to get the data out of it, you can try FonePaw iPhone Data Recovery, which enables you to get the data from your previous iTunes or iCloud backups.

The whole process composes of 3 steps. So it is very easy for you to use.

Locked iPhone backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.