Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I connect my Panasonic AG DVX100B to my Mac Mini?

My 6 year old says it can't be done because the camera is older than my computer.

Is he right or should I not give up?

I tried going RCA's from the camera to the mic input (??) because there does not seem to be a camera input on the Mini.

but there's no USB out of the camera. help. i know there must be a way& my generation of technology must be compatible with my son's generation.

Thank you!!

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Apr 18, 2012 10:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2015 1:43 PM

The Panasonic AG-DVX100B IS supported by iMovie. I know because I just tried it. While this model is not specifically named, if you look at the Notes it says "iMovie works with most mini DV tape-based camcorders using DV and HDV formats. Use FireWire port for tape-based devices." This camera is a mini DV tape based camcorder using the DV format and has a firewire port. I used a 9 pin to 4 pin Firewire cable for the connection. Switch the camera to VCR mode using the rear switch. In the camera menu system select AV IN/OUT SETUP, then go to DV OUT and make sure it is set to ON. After this iMovie will find the camera when you go to File | Import Media.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 24, 2015 1:43 PM in response to Eric Fauque

The Panasonic AG-DVX100B IS supported by iMovie. I know because I just tried it. While this model is not specifically named, if you look at the Notes it says "iMovie works with most mini DV tape-based camcorders using DV and HDV formats. Use FireWire port for tape-based devices." This camera is a mini DV tape based camcorder using the DV format and has a firewire port. I used a 9 pin to 4 pin Firewire cable for the connection. Switch the camera to VCR mode using the rear switch. In the camera menu system select AV IN/OUT SETUP, then go to DV OUT and make sure it is set to ON. After this iMovie will find the camera when you go to File | Import Media.

Apr 19, 2012 8:39 AM in response to TQuinn

Checking the specifications of your camera, I see it as a Firewire out .

DV: 4-pin, digital input/output, IEEE 1394 standard (IEEE 1394 is Firewire)

So you should be able to connect it to your Mini via the Firewire 800 port.

You will need a Firewire 400 to Firewire 800 cable because the Firewire on the camera is a 400.

But I couldn't fine any info that confirmed this model is compatible with iMovie if this is what you plan to use for editing.

There is a work around but it is not very easy.

Simplest way to import your videos is still Elgato video capture, but it will not give you the same quality as DV

Apr 19, 2012 12:33 PM in response to TQuinn

You just need a 4-pin FW400 to 9-pin FW800 cable like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190641819392

User uploaded file

Don't use Elgate Video Capture, because:

(a) this is digital all the way - it will retain the FULL camera's quality (Elgato is analog)

(b) this is FireWire all the way (realtime streamed video has trouble with USB)

(c) this cable is cheaper!

( Eric, your "workaround" reference is for the SDR-H40 camera, which is an HDD video camera without Firewire, not a DV camera WITH Firewire, like the OP has.)

Apr 19, 2012 7:49 PM in response to mooblie

Mooblie,

Op's camera is not supported by imovie so importing via firewire will not work. Unless you have an other importing and editing software to propose, The only editing software I found that supported it on mac is Final cut pro ($$$!) . That is why I proposed trying the work around. And I also proposed the elgato AND did say it would be a lower quality then firewire. But given the op obvious limited expertise with these things ( no offence intended, but he did try to connect is camera via rca to the min input of the mac!) elgato is still the simplest solution. Not a high quality capture one, granted, but an easy one!

Apr 24, 2015 3:10 PM in response to Audioconsultant

Audioconsultant wrote:

LOL, you realize this thead is 3 years old don't you?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.