Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

link between Aperture and iTunes doesn't work

Hi,

i have the problem that i can not load photos through iTunes on my iPhone or iPad because iTunes can not find my Aperture Library.

In Aperture itself i have the setting enabled, that other program can use thumbnails.

Some Tipps for me?

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Apr 19, 2012 1:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2012 3:38 AM

Where is your Aperture Library? On an internal or an external volume? What is your Aperture version?

Typically iTunes cannot find the Aperture Library if the volume with the Library is offline, or if the Aperture Preference file is corrupted or not readable.

Sometime this helps:

• Quit iTunes.
  • Launch Aperture and create a new Aperture Library (File -> Switch to Library -> Other/New)
  • When Aperture open the new, empty Library import one image and switch back to your regular Aperture Library,
  • Quit Aperture
  • Lauch iTunes.

Your Aperture Library now should be visible.

If this did not help, remove the Aperture Preference file, as described here:

Aperture 3: Troubleshooting Basics: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3805

Regards

Léonie

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 19, 2012 3:38 AM in response to darkseven

Where is your Aperture Library? On an internal or an external volume? What is your Aperture version?

Typically iTunes cannot find the Aperture Library if the volume with the Library is offline, or if the Aperture Preference file is corrupted or not readable.

Sometime this helps:

• Quit iTunes.
  • Launch Aperture and create a new Aperture Library (File -> Switch to Library -> Other/New)
  • When Aperture open the new, empty Library import one image and switch back to your regular Aperture Library,
  • Quit Aperture
  • Lauch iTunes.

Your Aperture Library now should be visible.

If this did not help, remove the Aperture Preference file, as described here:

Aperture 3: Troubleshooting Basics: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3805

Regards

Léonie

Apr 21, 2012 10:19 PM in response to léonie

Hello all, Oh man, I thought this would be the answer, but sadly, it's still a no go for me. I am getting that "Aperture Library cannot be found" message in iTunes as well.

Stats:
I have share preferences set to Always

My "first" aperture library was stored in the default location (internal hdd)
My "real" library is located on a HFS+ formatted external drive
When my first library is selected, iTunes sees it no problems
When my second library is selected, iTunes complains
I've tried deleting the plist for iApps and Aperture, still no dice

I've tried the "create a new library, switch back" method, yep, no dice

I've done all three aperture first aid options

My screen saver can see my "real" library (the second one that iTunes struggles with).

Any other ideas?

Apr 22, 2012 3:26 AM in response to léonie

Is your main Aperture Library on a locally conneted external volume or on a network volume? Does iTunes not show the aperture library at all, or does it show the Aperture library as empty? If it is shown as empty, I would try to regenerate the Previews in Aperture (this may take a while if your library is huge):

• Select all images in the Browser and select: Photos -> Delete Previews
  • Then recreate them: Photos -> Update Preview

This usually works, if iTunes sees the Aperture Library, but does not show the correct number of images inside.

If however the error message concerns the syncing of of images between iTunes and your mobile devices, you may need to clear your Photos Cache: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300225

Regards

Apr 22, 2012 5:47 PM in response to léonie

Hi leonie, thank you very much for replying. I'm sorry for the vauge "error description" 🙂

iTunes complains = Aperture Library cannot be found (same error as before)

My library is contained on an external HFS+ formatted USB drive. I know other programs can see the library because my screeensaver shows photos from it.

As for your soultion, that didn't fix it unfortunately 😟

But I did end up figuring out a solution: I don't know why iTunes was so fixated on the original library aperture created on my OS drive in the "Photos" directory (which is now a very limited space SSD). Even if I created a new library located on my OS drive, it "wouldn't find it" when I switched to it. So for the solution, I moved (not copied, but moved) the original library to the exact same location as the one on the USB HDD. Changed the library to the "original one" located now on my USB hdd. Merged in the one that had all my photos. iTunes now can see my library located on my HFS+ formatted USB hard drive. *WHEW* I hope that helps someone else out.

link between Aperture and iTunes doesn't work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.