From another poster in the Communities:
• Phone must be off contract or you must be in the military traveling abroad.
• Account must be in good standing for the last 30 days.
• You must have valid email or phone number where you can be reached when the unlock is completed by Apple.
How it works:
1. Call AT&T at 1-800-331-0500 and go through the prompts to get to a customer service agent
2. Have your IMEI # ready along with your active email address and current phone number
3. If your phone qualifies then AT&T will submit a request to Apple to authorize the unlock on your phone. (AT&T will tell you right then on the phone if it can be done )
4. Make sure you get your case number in the event something doesn't go through so you can get support from AT&T.
5. Once you recieve the email from Apple, open iTunes and transfer purchases, backup your phone and then perform a restore.
6. Once this process is complete your phone should now be unlocked to use other carriers.
It will be up to you to find a way to call a US 800 number from outside the country; do a web search and you should find suggestions.
I got my phone unlocked without issue.
My sister lives in New York, I had her call AT&T, gave her my account number and all the information she needed about the phone (IMEI, date of purchase, where it was purchased etc). They only needed the IMEI and account number, that's how I got in touch with them.
After 3 days I received an email from AT&T saying I was in good standing, my account was fully paid off and they sent my unlock instructions.
There isn't a code, if AT&T assess that you are eligible for the unlock, then they unlock it for you via iTunes. You have to plug your phone in with an active sim then restore it (make sure you've back it up first). After the restore you should get a message saying it's unlocked.
I actually used my old AT&T sim, but they said any active sim card will work, regardless of carrier. I guess my old one was still active, but now it's unlocked and I'm using it with other carriers, I can't believe I missed it so much. I have gone through two Android phones (HTC and Samsung) since I moved out of the states and both died within a months time.
Bytheway, none of AT&T's "international" numbers work. The best way to contact them is have someone you know in the US do it for you, takes 10-15 mins tops on the phone and they'll give you a case number.
Just Call 800 331 0500 from skype or gmail phone .. Give themm your old At&T no. or account number .. They will setup a case id for you .. You should get an email confirming the unlock in 15 days .. I got my confirmation in 3 days !!! .. After that all you need to do is connect to itunes and restore your phone ...
You don't need SIM nor do you need active at&t account .. All you need to establish that at some point of time this phone was locked with at&t .. For that you need to give the at&t number ..Even if you are not the original owner of the phone and even if you have bought it second hand, as long as the phone was locked by at&t and the original owner has either completed the contract or paid early termination fee, you should be eligible for the unlock
hi can you help me please to unlock my phone cause I live in Egypt and I can't do this from here even when I called them
I have the recite of purchasing but the friend who get it for me i can't contact him anymore :-( So, I'm really in a big trouble
They told me in phone that anyone of ATT customer can help
If you can help me it would be aappreciated
If received notification from the carrier the iPhone was sold as carrier locked with that the unlock process is ready, you don't need to restore the iPhone with iTunes.