Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What made my Air finally connect to wi-fi after sleep.

I finally got my mid 2011 MBA to connect to my preferred network when waking from sleep. It is something you may have read elsewhere but I can confirm it worked for me. You have to disable the "deep sleep mode". When a Air goes into deep sleep is when (for me) it failed to wake my network back up. I switched off deep sleep and not only does it wake up faster it wakes up connected to the Wi-fi network. How do you turn off deep sleep? Using the terminal command

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

If you are like me you may say what is a terminal command? Go to spotlight (that magnifying glass icon top right corner of your screen) and type terminal. Click the Terminal next to Applications. Copy paste the command I posted above and supply your password if you have one. What this does is disables the deep sleep mode that the Air's use for maximum battery life while left sleeping and on battery. This is why my Air always connected to wi-fi when it was plugged in to power, because it never enters deep sleep when on external power. Now the computer goes to sleep and wakes up as intended and no more turning airport on and off to start wi-fi back up. Try for yourself and if it does not work...your Air is broken (I guess).

If it did not work and you want to put the computer back to the way it was go back to terminal as above and then copy and paste this command back in.

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 3

In case you worried your computer now does not sleep, it does. It goes into plain sleep mode as the old Macbooks that awoke just fine used to do.

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Apr 19, 2012 10:03 AM

6 replies

Apr 23, 2012 5:45 AM in response to Retired Engineer

While that is true about losing unsaved work, who really does that? Yes it is a situation one may find themselves in. But really if you are doing important work after your battery warning has appered you may not be a very smart person to begin with. Note: not a personal attack on anyone in particular but come now. pkug the thing in when it's low. And as far as when people leave the Macbooks on when not being used for a number of days why wouldn't you turn it off? Yes they can sleep for long priods of time but why. Better to turn it off for the days of not being used as i think that would make your battery last just a little bit longer in the lifetime of the battery. Maybe?

Apr 23, 2012 9:23 AM in response to marc.45

So, I turned deep sleep mode back on again.

a) battery drain over the weekend was ridiculous, I'd rather deal with the original problem instead of worrying about potentially losing unsaved data

b) it turns out that this "fix" actually didn't solve the original problem for me, my MBA still had to be manually reconnected to my home network yesterday

What made my Air finally connect to wi-fi after sleep.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.