Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Rugged case to protect iPad 3

I was reading a post about iPad covers here, but it centeres on light cases. I am looking for more serious protection so am starting a new thread. Hope this is not a repeat.

I need a case for my brand new iPad 3 too. However, since i already own an iPhone, i know that my highest priority is safety. Dropped my iPhone a few times. luckily, i put a protective case on it before using it, so no damage of any kind. I am using Otterbox Defender there and it is working great. I do not care that it makes it bulkier since the protection it offers trumps the bulk for me.

However, i read reviews on Otterbox for iPad and see a lot of complaints about screen protector part on that one. I agree with them since even on the iPhone it is a little bit of an issue, and i have a strong filling that it will be a much bigger issue for iPad.

Price does matter, but i would rather pay a few more dollars (or find a coupon to bring the price down) than loose an expensive iPad because i was too cheap to protect it well.

I have found these 2 and want to ask if anyone has an opinion/personal experience with these or another similar one. would you please share? thanks

http://www.gumdropcases.com/drop-series-the-new-ipad-case.html

http://store.griffintechnology.com/survivor-ipad-3

and Otterbox

http://www.amazon.com/OtterBox-Defender-Series-iPad-Generation/dp/B007IV7KRU/ref =sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1334857205&sr=1-3

I found someone who has the Griffin case and it is very heavy, much heavier than i expected, it is also by far the most expensive of these 3. it does look good and seem to be good for screen protection and have the openings for all plugs that need to go in. I also did not not see much of the lint mentioned in the reviews. the person have been using hers for about 4 months.

iPad (3rd generation) Wi-Fi

Posted on Apr 19, 2012 12:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2012 12:31 PM

I am using the Otterbox Defender and I love it. It gives the iPad a great deal of protection - all of the buttons work well - I have no issues whatsoever with the rubber covering the home button or the power button. The opening to access the dock connector is flexible and easy to pull back as is the covering over the side switch. The cameras are not covered in any way and the cover that turns into a stand gives you three different ways to place the iPad.

The screen protector obviously has to take a little away from the retina display - but IMO - not that much at all. I posted a screen shot here recently and another user posted back and knew that I had the iPad 3 because the retina display even showed through on the screen shot.

Needless to say I am extremely happy with this case.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 19, 2012 12:31 PM in response to Saphira2021

I am using the Otterbox Defender and I love it. It gives the iPad a great deal of protection - all of the buttons work well - I have no issues whatsoever with the rubber covering the home button or the power button. The opening to access the dock connector is flexible and easy to pull back as is the covering over the side switch. The cameras are not covered in any way and the cover that turns into a stand gives you three different ways to place the iPad.

The screen protector obviously has to take a little away from the retina display - but IMO - not that much at all. I posted a screen shot here recently and another user posted back and knew that I had the iPad 3 because the retina display even showed through on the screen shot.

Needless to say I am extremely happy with this case.

Rugged case to protect iPad 3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.