Skip navigation

Snow Leopard won't Show up on the Desktop

274 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Apr 20, 2012 7:12 AM by varjak paw RSS
Coulter Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Apr 19, 2012 1:21 PM

I've an Intel Core Duo machine with 2 GB of memory

and enough free space on my drive but can't get Snow Leopard to show up on my Desktop.

Apple sent me 2 replacement discs to make sure the problem isn't the disc itself.

The CD drive works fine

At the moment I'm running OS 10.5.8

CAN ANYONE HELP ME PLEASE ?

Thanks

Coulter

coulter@b-4ranch.com

• varjak paw Level 10 Level 10 (167,190 points)
    Apr 19, 2012 1:46 PM (in response to Coulter)

You mean the Snow Leopard installer disk, I presume. Have you opened a Finder window to confirm that it's not showing there either? It's possible that you just don't have the proper items set to appear on your Desktop in the Finder preferences.

If the disk doesn't appear in a Finder window either, then you may have a malfunctioning optical drive. Will any other DVD work? Can you get the system to boot to the disk if you restart the machine and hold down the "c" key?

Regards.

Apr 19, 2012 2:05 PM (in response to Coulter)

CDs and DVDs are different and use different components in the drive, and one type may work in the drive while the other does not. So that a CD works really doesn't tell you much. Try a different DVD, if you can find one; the original 10.5 installer disk, if you still have it. If that doesn't work either, then you may well have a defective optical drive.

Regards.

Apr 20, 2012 7:12 AM (in response to Coulter)

It does sound likely that the drive has failed, yes. You'll need to contact an Apple Store or authorized service center and ask what it would cost to confirm the diagnosis and replace the drive. It's possible for a user to replace the drive oneself, but the iMac is not designed for user service and can be a bit tricky (more so for some models that for others). If you want to look into it, though, you can find guides for doing so here:

http://www.ifixit.com/Device/iMac_Intel

You could also look into an external drive. Some at least can be booted from, though I don't know if all can. Someone else here may be able to recommend a specific unit, or you can ask Other World Computing; they're pretty knowledgable about such things and I'd trust what they told me:

http://eshop.macsales.com/

Regards.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.