Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OSX 10.5 Very Slow

Hey guys,

My OS has recently become very slow. I have only a couple of apps open and there is a lot of pending and non-responding going on (maybe due to recent large applications being installed)

I have cleared the majority of my data to an external HD and can only think that it is my full Application folder (58 apps) that is slowing down the system.

I want to copy all the apps I don't use over to my external and delete them from Mac HD.

Will I be able to drag these copies back over to my application folder as and when I need them and have them work ok?

Here are my stats:

MacBook Pro (2008)

2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

2 GB Ram

19.14 gig available on my Mac HD

OSX 10.5.8

5.79GB of applications installed

Many thank for reply in advance,

Josh

Posted on Apr 19, 2012 4:19 PM

4 replies

Apr 20, 2012 1:47 AM in response to JoshAllegro

Hi..

19.14 gig available on my Mac HD

Not enough free space on the startup disk can cause the problems you are experiencing. 19GB's might be cutting it close.

Right or control click the MacintoshHD icon. Click Get Info. In the Get Info window you will see Capacity and Available. Make sure there's a minimum of 15% free disk space.

Freeing Up Hard Disk Space - Mac GuidesFreeing Up Hard Disk Space - Mac Guides

It's not really a good idea to move the actual applications to an external drive. You may have problems with software updates.

Apr 21, 2012 10:01 AM in response to JoshAllegro

I always make a point of storing application dmg's (the original downloads) on an external HD. That means I can delete them from the Mac if necessary, knowing I can reinstall easily.

However, you would also have to think about leaving the app folders in Library/Application Support so that you can take up where you left off if you need them again. Same with Preferences.

OSX 10.5 Very Slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.