Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.7.3 DNS periodically stops working - "Server not found" error

Four days ago I upgraded my iMac from OS X 10.6.8 to 10.7.3 Lion.

On two occasions since the upgrade DNS lookups began failing in the middle of a login session where it had been working fine. The first sign of trouble each time was Firefox began giving the "Server not found" error for valid URLs. Other programs that require DNS hostname lookup such as Safari, dig and nslookup also failed.

The iMac's wireless connection to the internet through an Airport Extreme was still functional, I could successfully ping hosts by numeric IP address. Also I could still browse the web via an iPad on the same wireless network.

DNS service on the iMac began working again after I briefly turned Wi-Fi off and then back on.

System Preferences > Network > Turn Wi-Fi (Off/On)

Is this a known problem where DNS on Mac OS X Lion spontaneously stops working in the middle of an active session (not a failure at boot, or on wake-up from sleep)? Does the fact that turning Wi-Fi off and on gets DNS going again provide any clues?

iMac 21.5-inch, Late 2009

Processor 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3 (11D50)

Network Wi-Fi --

Software Versions:

CoreWLAN: 2.1.2 (212.1)

CoreWLANKit: 1.0.2 (102.2)

Menu Extra: 7.0.2 (702.1)

configd plug-in: 7.1.2 (712.1)

System Profiler: 7.0 (700.3)

IO80211 Family: 4.1.2 (412.2)

WiFi Diagnostics: 1.0.1 (101.1)

AirPort Utility: 6.0 (600.92)

Interfaces:

en1:

Card Type: AirPort Extreme (0x168C, 0x8F)

Firmware Version: Atheros 9280: 4.0.61.5-P2P

MAC Address: XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Locale: FCC

Country Code: US

Supported Channels: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 36, 40, 44, 48, 52, 56, 60, 64, 100, 104, 108, 112, 116, 120, 124, 128, 132, 136, 140, 149, 153, 157, 161, 165

Wake On Wireless: Supported

AirDrop: Supported

Current Network Information:

XXXX:

PHY Mode: 802.11n

BSSID: 00:1f:f3:c0:42:26

Channel: 11

Country Code: US

Network Type: Infrastructure

Security: WPA2 Personal

Signal / Noise: -27 dBm / -96 dBm

Transmit Rate: 130

Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Apr 20, 2012 2:28 AM

13 replies

Apr 21, 2012 1:56 AM in response to Linc Davis

Linc Davis wrote:

Safari 5.0.1 or later: Slow or partial webpage loading, or webpage cannot be found

Thank you , but the referenced knowledge base article addresses a different set of symptoms "webpage cannot be found" in Safari vs. "server not found" in multiple browsers. Also it does not address the symptom of DNS failure for other programs such as dig and nslookup, and it does not address the symptom that DNS hostname resolution completely stops working after working satisfactorily for the preceding portion of a login session.

Apr 21, 2012 6:41 PM in response to Linc Davis

Linc Davis wrote:

Did you try changing your DNS settings, as suggested in the article?

No I didn't. As I said, the knowledge base article addresses very different symptoms.

Notice that I'm using an AirPort Extreme. It's getting DNS server IP addresses automatically from my ISP. This worked fine prior to upgrade to OS X Lion. It works fine virtually all the time on 10.7.3. It worked fine for the iPad on the same network the whole time hostname resolution was failing solid on the iMac, not only for browsers ("Server not found"), but for other programs such as dig and nslookup. And it worked fine again as soon as I turned Wi-Fi off/on on the iMac. I think those facts indicate a problem with 10.7.3 itself. Hostname resolution shouldn't fail solid like that on the iMac, and require user intervention to get going again, when it 's clear that the DNS servers involved are working for other devices on the same wireless network. Since it appears this scenario is not a well known problem I'll submit a bug report.

One of the primary objectives of my original post was to offer the tip about turning WiFi off and on if users running Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3 find them selves in a similar situation.

Thank you for your time.

Jun 10, 2012 12:03 AM in response to vlbcfcl

vlbcfcl wrote:

Try this:

http://www.makingitscale.com/2011/fix-for-broken-search-domain-resolution-in-osx -lion.html

I haven't seen the problem since I made that change

I'm glad the tip on makingitscale.com cleared up a problem for you. It seems, however, to addresses a different situation, namely enabling partially qualified hostnames to be augmented by search path extensions. In contrast what I ran into was that after working fine for a while during a login session, suddenly DNS hostname lookup failed completely--it failed for a variety of programs, and it failed for fully qualified hostnames. The "fix" I stumbled into was turning wifi off and on.

I have to add that after the first few days when I had the sudden DNS failure problems, it hasn't happened again. That's a mystery.

Please don't think I'm quibbling with your post. Whether we are talking about exactly the same problem or not, I'm glad you found a solution, and thanks for sharing it.

Jun 14, 2012 6:37 AM in response to LGardener

I can report that I, too, am having the same DNS issues on my Macbook Pro with Lion - but connected via Ethernet, not WiFi (WiFi is turned off). It fails to resolve the same local hostname that was working for the past few weeks and nothing I have done has fixed the problem today (I am accessing my local hosts via IP address). I have tried rebooting, changing my DNS server, flushing my DNS cache, but no dice. My iMac is connecting fine to the local hostnames as are Windows machines. /shrugs

Jun 22, 2012 5:41 AM in response to pandaurae

I am having the same issue on my Intel based iMac running Lion 10.7.4, primarily with my Exchange server address-either through outlook, Safari or Chrome. DNS will not resolve the URL. I can't ping it using the URL, but can see it using Terminal. If i use the numeric address, I can ping it and access it, but can't make a secure connection. If I reset my DHCP, sometimes it will resolve the URL, other times it spontaneously works. Apple refers me to Microsoft, Microsoft refers me to my Exchange host and my Exchane host refers me to Apple. All of my PC's, iPhones and MacBook (also running Lion 10.7.4) can access this secure server over my Time Capsule based LAN. Clealry a DNS issue on my iMac.

Jul 8, 2012 6:34 AM in response to LGardener

Same problem here - I have an old Macbook running 10.5.8 and a new mid 2021 macbook pro running 10.7.4.

For certain webpages (e.g. www.macinstruct.com) the new mid 2012 macbook pro will not be able to open the page - it does not happen all the time, but very regularly. The old Macbook does not have the issue - I can opne the page from it at the same time as the new one is reporting it cannot find the server.

I cannot ping using the domain name either and to me also the issue looks like a DNS problem.

Wifi set up is identical on both machines and both are using the same router.

This seems a very basic issue to be unresolved for so long - I have a support call in and will update this thread if anything comes from it.

Aug 8, 2012 4:36 PM in response to LGardener

I have the exact same issue with my September 2011 MBP running 10.7.4. For the last 5 minutes, I cannot resolve google.com for love nor money with any application at all. Other domains are fine. Some Facebook hosts are not resolving. This happens both on wired and wireless connections. tcpdump will show my Mac querying my preferred DNS servers (in this case Google's resolvers), but no reply comes back. I suspect that the resolvers are responding, but that the problem is at layer 2, meaning tcpdump is never going to see the response packets and the application layer will have no access to the response data. It has nothing to do with which resolvers I'm using. It happens with my ISPs resolvers, Google's, OpenDNS, Level(3), etc.

Switching from wired to wireless will fix it. Firing up a VPN tunnel will fix it. Basically changing interfaces will do the trick.

Its horribly frustrating.

10.7.3 DNS periodically stops working - "Server not found" error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.