Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can two Address Books exist on my iMac

I use my iMac for keeping tabs on a list of recuring events throughout the years as well as over the years. The events generally follow in particular months each year and have new attendees as well as returning participants from previously held events who continue to attend the events.

I have kept records in Word for Mac, on Pages & Numbers, but nothing works best like Address Book. I have several hundred participants that I would like to reorganize into a central location and find that Address Book might be best suited for the task. The problem is that I would like to keep separate these names and dates from my personal/business Address Book if at all possible.

My question is, "Can two Address Books exist on the iMac, each with its own intended purpose? Namely, Address Book 1 (Personal) and Address Book 2 (Events)?

Any ideas would be welcome.

Regards,

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.3), 11/2006 24" desktop

Posted on Apr 20, 2012 4:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2012 5:00 AM

Two ways to go about this. You can create Addressbook groups, or you can make a second user account within your Mac just to manage the second addressbook. The advantage of the former, you can selectively search between two separate groups of addresses. The advantage of the second obviously is totally separate operation.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2486 - explains the Smart Groups feature of Addressbook

Apple menu -> System preferences -> Users and Groups helps you setup multiple accounts. Fast user switching allows you to use a menubar switch to go between two different users.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 20, 2012 5:00 AM in response to 1parkpointer

Two ways to go about this. You can create Addressbook groups, or you can make a second user account within your Mac just to manage the second addressbook. The advantage of the former, you can selectively search between two separate groups of addresses. The advantage of the second obviously is totally separate operation.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2486 - explains the Smart Groups feature of Addressbook

Apple menu -> System preferences -> Users and Groups helps you setup multiple accounts. Fast user switching allows you to use a menubar switch to go between two different users.

Aug 3, 2016 10:09 AM in response to a brody

So I have a subsequent question to this. What happens if the Contacts are synced from iCloud? I recently added an account to my girl friend's iMac, and then logged into my iCloud account. The Contacts were imported and then synced with the contact list on the iMac, this ended up mixing up all our contacts and then updated my contact list on all my other devices. I would like to keep her contact list and mine separate, anyway this can be done without manually deleting my contacts or hers?

Can two Address Books exist on my iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.