Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do i resize a picture in iMovie?

Hi there,

PLEASE HELP ME! 😉 I've imported some still images/pictures into my iMovie Project. I'm using the latest version of iMovie and the latest OS.

However, iMovie (as a default) takes the image and makes it fill the screen and I can't find a way of resizing the image so that it only fills part of the screen.

Does anybody out there have a similar issue and found a way to do it?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Andrew

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Apr 20, 2012 5:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2012 5:57 AM

You can set this in two places.

You can use the Rotate, Crop, Ken Burns tool on the middle toolbar. FIT will put the entire photo in the frame by letterboxing. CROP will fill the screen by cropping the edges. Ken Burns produces a panning effect between one rectangle and another.

You can also set a default for all future photos you add to the project. This is in FILE/PROJECT PROPERTIES.

However, if your question is how to make your photo smaller than either of these, in general, I would recommend that you get a photo editing app to do that. PhotoShop, Acorn, Pixelmator, and others will do this before you import.

There is a special case where you can do this. It is called the Picture in Picture effect. You can drag the photo in and drop it on a video clip. In the popup menu, choose Picture in Picture. (Note: If PIP is not an option in the menu, go to iMovie/Preferences and enable the advanced tools.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 20, 2012 5:57 AM in response to akbrinded

You can set this in two places.

You can use the Rotate, Crop, Ken Burns tool on the middle toolbar. FIT will put the entire photo in the frame by letterboxing. CROP will fill the screen by cropping the edges. Ken Burns produces a panning effect between one rectangle and another.

You can also set a default for all future photos you add to the project. This is in FILE/PROJECT PROPERTIES.

However, if your question is how to make your photo smaller than either of these, in general, I would recommend that you get a photo editing app to do that. PhotoShop, Acorn, Pixelmator, and others will do this before you import.

There is a special case where you can do this. It is called the Picture in Picture effect. You can drag the photo in and drop it on a video clip. In the popup menu, choose Picture in Picture. (Note: If PIP is not an option in the menu, go to iMovie/Preferences and enable the advanced tools.

Feb 9, 2013 1:25 PM in response to akbrinded

You need to find yourself an old version of Imovie 6

but it has to be iMovie 6.04 nothing less nothing more.( available to work on intel PC's

It still works in lion and mountain lion as I have a brand new mac mini infront of me and it works on it.

Apple stock is down, why? they are becoming PC stupid.

I have been creating celebration of Life DVDs for 14 years and iMovie 6 HD is the best app ever invented.

It has it's quirks but once yu figure them out you are running free.

I have macpros, macbooks macminis powerpc's, intel this and intel that.

I refuse to captialize any of the words as macIntosh and apple are doing plenty of that right Now.

Capitalize your pocketbook

is what i am talking about

there is a company named geethree that created hundreds of plugins for iMovie 6 HD

They are absolutely fantastic.

They do more than you could ever imagine aprogram could do.

I am totally amazed at apples could care less attitude.

They once had the best computer out there I have been using both Windwoes and macs for 18+years

Put me in charge and they would be worth 900 dllars a share instead of 459.00 or whatever they dropped to.

I am done, almost.

I sure hope Dell decides to do something special like Steve Jobs did

Oct 21, 2015 4:27 PM in response to akbrinded

The Jun 10, 2012 12:21 PM reply by akbrinded was very helpful to me over the past 2 days as I used iMovie

on an iPad mini 2 w/Retina Display. I thought I could add photos into a project just like videos.

However, they got zoomed no matter what. I did exactly as recommended here and it worked.

In my case, I created a black canvas of 640x480, then placed the photo I wanted in the center.

I created 5 black canvases with the 5 photos I wanted to transition between in iMovie, and this worked

very nicely for what I wanted. It wasn't that tedious, it meant making 5 copies of the black canvas file,

then Inserting image to get the photo into each, positioning and saving each image file as described here.

Then I selected these images within iMovie.

(I used the SnagIt image editor and saved the files as JPG.)

Thank you for this idea!

How do i resize a picture in iMovie?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.