Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac will not get past loading screen

I was updating the permissions on my osx drive and finder froze so I relaunched it and finder would no longer work, I got several messages about obscure things not being installed properly like "bluetoothkeyboard". I then restarted my iMac and ended up stuck at the loading screen. I've tried everything iveseen on the forum like fsck and using the install cd but nothing seems to be working, any help would be greatly appreciated

Ps, not 100% certain on my os, I knew it was snow leopard but not sure if it is 10.6.8 or not

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 20, 2012 6:13 AM

15 replies

Apr 20, 2012 2:17 PM in response to Irawrd

Repair Permissions from your Install Disk...

1. Insert the Mac OS X Install disc, then restart the computer while holding the C key.

2. When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu at the top of the screen. (In Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you must select your language first.)

Important: Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer. If you do, you must restart from the disc again to access Disk Utility.

3. Click the First Aid tab.

4. Select your Mac OS X volume.

5. Click Repair Permissions.

If that works to boot it up, Repair Permissions once again while booted from the Hard Drive to get all the new permissions.

iMac will not get past loading screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.