Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

printing out a 2x3 in picture

On Iphoto, I want to print out a 2 in by 3 in picture but Iphoto just keeps cropping my photo to that size rather than reducing the entire size of the picture. help!

iPhoto '08

Posted on Apr 20, 2012 11:58 AM

2 replies

Apr 20, 2012 12:18 PM in response to gilsone

If you are using the crop tool as part of this process:

Cropping does not set the size of the photo. Cropping is used for improving the composition of a photo, removing unwanted items from a photo, or can be used to change the aspect ratio. Print size is determined by how many pixels are printed per inch.

I do not have iPhoto '08 but in iPhoto '09, you set the print size in the print dialog. It gives a few of the common choices (5x7, 4x6, etc) and you can create a custom size such as 2x3.

If, on the otherhand, you already have a photo with a 2x3 aspect ratio and you have the print setting set to 2x3 and it is cropping a bunch of your photo when printing ... I don't know what's up with that.

Apr 20, 2012 12:15 PM in response to gilsone

If the original photo is not the same size ratio as 2 x 3 then there will have to be some of it left out when printed to a 2x3 image size. There's no way around it. Most digital camera images are in the 4:3 size ratio, i.e. 1:1.333. The 2 x 3 ratio is 1:1.5.

Crop the photo to 2 x 3 and you'll see how much of the photo will be lost. Cropping it yourself will let you control what's lost and what's retained.

OT

printing out a 2x3 in picture

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.