Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes, Remote and Apple TV synching problems.

I've noticed that whenever the iTunes store is experiencing connectivity problems, the Remote app and Apple TV's also have problems synching with each other. For example:

As long as iTunes is open on my desktop when problems are current, even if all I'm trying to do is watch netflix on my apple tv, its a problem. Yet if i want to stream from iTunes to the apple tv, its okay. The remote app however is nearly impossible to connect in either scenario.

What's up with that?

AppleTV 2, iOS 5.1, remote app, iTunes

Posted on Apr 20, 2012 3:11 PM

3 replies

Aug 20, 2016 10:24 AM in response to sabibine

I had the Same issue.

Narrowed down to my Netgear ProSAFE Plus 16 Port Gigabit Switches

Using the Configuration utility, I turned OFF Multicast – IGMP Snooping Status.

Why I do not know, but this one change made everything work.

Validated by turning it back on and the Itunes / Iphone issues returned.

Is Apple Home Sharing using IGMP?

IGMP snooping is the process of listening to Internet Group Management Protocol (IGMP) network traffic. The feature allows a network switch to listen in on the IGMP conversation between hosts and routers. By listening to these conversations the switch maintains a map of which links need which IP multicast streams. Multicasts may be filtered from the links which do not need them and thus controls which ports receive specific multicast traffic.

A switch will, by default, flood multicast traffic to all the ports in a broadcast domain (or the VLAN equivalent). Multicast can cause unnecessary load on host devices by requiring them to process packets they have not solicited. When purposefully exploited, this can form the basis of a denial-of-service attack. IGMP snooping is designed to prevent hosts on a local network from receiving traffic for a multicast group they have not explicitly joined. It provides switches with a mechanism to prune multicast traffic from links that do not contain a multicast listener (an IGMP client).

IGMP snooping allows a switch to only forward multicast traffic to the links that have solicited them. Essentially, IGMP snooping is a layer 2 optimization for the layer 3 IGMP. IGMP snooping takes place internally on switches and is not a protocol feature. Snooping is therefore especially useful for bandwidth-intensive IP multicast applications such as IPTV.

iTunes, Remote and Apple TV synching problems.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.