Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I repair damaged files?

When I looked into my hard drive listings, it showed up a total of 66 damaged files.

Is it possible to repair them en masse, or do they have to be repaired individually?

Also, if they can't be repaired, does this mean I have to re-load my Tiger software discs?

Many thanks

Mac OS X (10.4.11), LaCie Big Disk Extreme 500Gb, Safari 4.0.3

Posted on Apr 21, 2012 2:48 AM

6 replies

Apr 21, 2012 3:06 AM in response to sapper

Are these files in the notoriously flaky LaCie drive?

"Try Disk Utility

1. Insert the Mac OS X Install disc, then restart the computer while holding the C key.

2. When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu. (In Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you must select your language first.)

Important: Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer. If you do, you must restart from the disc again to access Disk Utility.

3. Click the First Aid tab.

4. Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.

5. Select your Mac OS X volume.

6. Click Repair Disk, (not Repair Permissions). Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk."

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106214

Repeat for the External drive.

Apr 21, 2012 4:01 AM in response to BDAqua

Thanks for the quick reply, however your advice will be responded to when I've tried it out, which will be tomorrow morning.

In answer to your query about the LaCie drive: as far as I know, the problem only exists on the hard drive rather than the external drive. That may be an issue for another day.

Many thanks for your assistance.

Apr 21, 2012 8:41 AM in response to BDAqua

BDAqua wrote:

Are these files in the notoriously flaky LaCie drive?

Which notoriously flaky LaCie drive?

I know some people like to knock LaCie but I have four Quadras (bought at different times over the years) which have given perfect service.

It seems to me that when people name a problem drive brand in these forums 'WD' crops up more often than anything else.

How do I repair damaged files?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.