Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

fan runs faster after sleep but then slows to normal. Problem?

I've usually in all my year with Mac not had my drives sleep. I note now that when my drives awake one of the fans is spinning faster than normal. Just a little nothing crazy and then it slows to normal.

Is this the sound of a problem fan or something on my motherboard or something?

Should I do a PRAM reset? or whatever it's called these days?

Running OSX 1.6.8

Thank you.

S

Mac Pro 3.0 GHz Quad-Core, iPad WiFi/3G, iPhone4, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 30" HP Display, 22" Cinema Display

Posted on Apr 21, 2012 8:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2012 9:16 AM

When your computer sleeps and the fans spin down, heat can build up so that when it does come back to life it also may be warm enough to need to get air moving. And because in some situations it does so as a preventative measure if thermal sensor readings are not available.

Nothing to worry about. Totally normal. There was a firmware update back in.... Aug/Sept '07 to update SMC/EFI.

You also with that and FBDIMMs want to run SmcFanControl 2.3+ to insure the fans run around 800 rpm instead of 500-600 rpm to do a better job expelling and circulating air over RAM.

21 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 21, 2012 9:16 AM in response to Steven Shmerler

When your computer sleeps and the fans spin down, heat can build up so that when it does come back to life it also may be warm enough to need to get air moving. And because in some situations it does so as a preventative measure if thermal sensor readings are not available.

Nothing to worry about. Totally normal. There was a firmware update back in.... Aug/Sept '07 to update SMC/EFI.

You also with that and FBDIMMs want to run SmcFanControl 2.3+ to insure the fans run around 800 rpm instead of 500-600 rpm to do a better job expelling and circulating air over RAM.

Apr 21, 2012 2:18 PM in response to The hatter

OK. I uninstalled Fan Control 1.2 and restarted and then finally found SmcFan 2.3 and downloaded it. When I click on the app icon, the app doesn't start up. I went to their website and unfortunately there is no support link whatsoever. Not even a forum link. So I am totally in the dark here. I dragged the app into my Applications folder and when I click it, nothing happens at all.

Very unsettling I must say. If not from you with your reputation, I'd be nervous about having possibly installed a virus.

What do you recommend?

PS: I'm running OSX 10.6.8 in case that is the problem?

while at it, do yo know if 2.3 runs on Lion?

Steven

Apr 21, 2012 5:24 PM in response to Steven Shmerler

It puts an icon on the menu bar from which you configure the default and add any other profiles you need (default, low, medium, high, extreme) with different fan speeds (3 of 4 only).

It isn't an app as much as a background process. Can't believe it is unintuitive or that there is no readme.

I'd begin with setting a profile for 800-900 rpm for normal lite use and set one to 1100 and one to 1300. Around 1000 rpm is where I can detect the fan noise but not bothered by it.

Apr 21, 2012 6:29 PM in response to The hatter

Thank you . I've got it installed but seem to see a different interface than what I envision you are describing. I wonder if I could impose for some explanation and direction on settings? Thank you very much.

CPU Fan [slidebar here for RPM]

PCIe/HEE Fan [slidebar here for RPM]

Rear Fran [slidebar here for RPM]

Power Supply [slidebar here for RPM]

Options:

Menubar (pulldown menu):

Temperature & Fanspeed (Multiline)

Termperature & Fanspeed (Singleline)

Icons only

Temperature Only

Fanspeed Only

Termperature unit: ºC ºF

[ ] Check for updates on startup

[ ] Autorstart smcFanControl after login

[ ] Autoapply favorite when powersource changes (but this one's grayed out)

Battery - but pulldown menu is grayed out

AC-Power - but pulldown menu is grayed out

Charging - but pulldown menu is grayed out

Cancel Save

PS: Also if ever I need to uninstall this, do you know how?

Apr 21, 2012 7:39 PM in response to Steven Shmerler

Hatter, I found an FAQ inside smcFanControl and now and getting the hang of it. I realize why the bottom 3 are grayed out as they are for laptops, duh. Wasn't thinking.

But in the FAQ they don't mention Mac Pro settings. I searched YouTube and got a little more info. One guy says the MP has 9 fans?

If so, my smcFC only has the 4 mentioned in my previous post listed.

It seems that with the sliders all the way left, that this is at Apple's default RPM. Do you agree?

I've not found ideal RPM settings anywhere yet so I'm winging it and set the fans it lets me as follows. I can hear them now so I assume they or some are running faster than before installing smcFC. Also when I first installed it, the temp was 108 F and now it's 95 F. Should it be cooler?

CPU Fan: 1265

PCIe/HEE Fan: 1295

Rear Fran: 1295

Power Supply: 1329

I'll keep searching for ideal temperature and RPM speeds in the mean time. If anyone knows reading this, please post? Thanks. Steven

Apr 21, 2012 7:57 PM in response to Steven Shmerler

You might want to check out "Temperature Gauge" in the App Store to get a detailed handle on what the internal temperatures are in your Mac. Then, you can create different fan speed presets in smcFanControl and watch what they do. The thing to keep in mind is that internal temperatures go up as the computer works harder and/or as the ambient temperature rises. So having a number of smcFanControl presets can prepare you for those variables. And it will continue to work when/if you upgrade to Lion.

Apr 21, 2012 8:35 PM in response to FatMac-MacPro

Thanks FatMac. I found a Mac Pro manual and also found this in tech specs at Apple's site:

"Operating temperature: 10° to 35° C (50° to 95° F)"

There's no way my computer has ever run at 95ºF except while starting up 🙂

With smcFC fan settings now 1265, 1745, 1295, 1329... I'm at 95º so that means since the fans were running slower before installing smcFC, my box must have been running hotter.

And after checking inside my computer and watching a few more YouTube videos, it seems I have 4 fans: 2 CPU fans in the front, 1 rear and 1 PCIe/HDD fan. Based on Tech Specs and inputting my serial #, it says it was built August 2006

Can anyone confirm that an Aug 2006 MacPro1,1 has 4 fans?

Oh.. and thanks for tip on Temperature Gauge, just got it ($3.99) - combined with smcFC you REALLY get an insight into the temperature of your box and components. Actually TG gives you a lot more info than smcFC because it shows you each component. I wonder what the difference is in tempertures that each reports? TG says 114ºF and smcFC says 95ºF

Of course now I have even more questions. Do you know how to find out ideal avg temps for your components? TG is showing me CPUs, Heatsinks, Drive Bays, each RAM stick!, and my power supplies. I have 2? Cool (no pun).

On my Exhaust Fan because of smcFC, TG is showing it as set: 1295, but they there's a green progress like bar going beyond the 1295 about an 1/8th inch which I guess means it's going faster than it was set? Does that mean I need to set it to go faster?

Apr 22, 2012 9:13 AM in response to Steven Shmerler

The "operating temperature" is the ambient temperature of the air the fans are sucking in to cool the Mac. If the ambient temp is already 95º F, it's going to take a lot of air to bring internal part temps down.

Just pulled the panel off my retired MacPro 1,1. There's a CPU/RAM tunnel at the bottom with a fan in front and another in the back, whose grill work you can see. There's another fan at the front of the PCI slot area. And there's a fan in the top optical drive/power supply tunnel at the front of the power supply.

While smcFanControl sets the minimum fan speed, the Mac determines what the appropriate fan speed adjustments, if any, should be. I've wondered about that too and I think it's that the exhaust end of the tunnel should be sucking air faster than the intake end is blowing it in. As I understand it, the Temperature Gauge display shows the allowable range, and if a fan is running faster than the lowest speed, the green bar shows the actual speed.

I don't fully understand the range of temperatures shown for a given part either. I did some voluntary beta work on Temperature Gauge because the first versions weren't fully dealing with my 1,1 Mac Pro and what those readings actually were wasn't resolved. E.g., the CPU A Core is 157º and the Diode is 82º on my 5,1 Mac Pro right now, and as the Diode temp goes up, the Core temp goes down. I have to wonder if the Core measurement is a dynamic overheating shutdown point which goes down as other component temps go up.

Apr 22, 2012 9:24 AM in response to Steven Shmerler

I pointed to #1 Hardware monitor, and I think iStat has gotten better so they could be tied.

HW can alert when a sensor hits a reading.

Only that 800-900 is usually enough for replacement for lowest setting instead of the 499/599 that the system would use otherwise.

but it does sound too warm possibly.

FBDIMMs are essential to keep cool and aim for 70*C or less. 2006-2008

Cloggedf GPU cards and fan not working is another culprit (the X1900 was horrible and had to be removed and dust bunnies and to unclog the card's chamber, poor design. And was $399 of all horrible things.

Temperature Monitor is free version of HW w/o a couple features but also accurate.

When you say "the temp" there are dozens of places to read from as you found. And Apple does not get technical on such things. Even Intel is slightly mum and it is more complex than first appears (like the thermal max junction point and what an Xeon does). But those processors are designed to run at 55-70*C (I never use F for computers so I have to translate degrees). Idle you want to see anything under 40*C.

Newer hard drives, to save energy, are designed to run warmer (40*C) as even 5*C means saving $$ on cooling costs for systems and servers.

Odd that it is next to impossible to get good GPU readings which are very accessible under other platforms. And yet those have always it seems been an issue.

What you are doing is setting a new, higher base rpm. The system will still run fans faster if needed but it is easier to act preventatively if you know you will be doing something that generate heat. And change to a profile of 1200 or 1500 ahead of time - and leave it there to expel the heat before shutting down or sleep mode to prevent heat from staying inside or building up inside with fans off.

fan runs faster after sleep but then slows to normal. Problem?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.