Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bluetooth keyboard battery cover is stuck/fused - how do you open it?

The battery leaked and now I'm unable to open the battery cover. I took it to an Apple store but they are charging me $69.00 to replace it because it's already out of warranty. They tried to open it as well but was unsuccessful. Any suggestions are highly appreciated.

Posted on Apr 21, 2012 9:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 3, 2016 12:10 PM

After taking off the central cover on the battery slot on the back, the first battery popped out fine, from there I used the widest flat head screw driver I could find and a hammer to get the side battery cover off. Smacked the **** out of it for about 2 minutes and it eventually started to loosen. Once I could see that it was starting to turn slightly, just work the top with a quarter twisting it back and fourth and eventually the top came off. Cleaned out the corrosion as best I could and now it works perfectly! Thank you so much guys!

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 3, 2016 12:10 PM in response to macpt88

After taking off the central cover on the battery slot on the back, the first battery popped out fine, from there I used the widest flat head screw driver I could find and a hammer to get the side battery cover off. Smacked the **** out of it for about 2 minutes and it eventually started to loosen. Once I could see that it was starting to turn slightly, just work the top with a quarter twisting it back and fourth and eventually the top came off. Cleaned out the corrosion as best I could and now it works perfectly! Thank you so much guys!

May 17, 2012 9:11 PM in response to macpt88

I just got my fused battery cover opened!

You'll need to use a flat screw driver with the widest blade possible. Put the keyboard between you knees and with both hands, press slightly down and turn counter clock wise very, very hard. The slot on the cover may get damaged slightly but at least it's opened. I used rubbing alcohol to slightly wet the cover.

Once the cover is opened, you'll need to take the batteries out. Clean out as much of the haren white material as possible in the tube and between the battery and the tube. Press down on the battery to loose it and then tap the batteries out of the tube.

Bottom line is you'll need to use a screw driver with the right size blade and a handle which allows you to use both hands and some elbow grease. I used a quarter at first. The cover didn't budge but the quarter got twisted.

May 8, 2012 9:11 PM in response to macpt88

hi macpt88,

I just realised that i've this problem with my keyboard too! my online research has suggested the use of penetrating oils (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penetrating_oil).

i got the suggestion from a camera forum (this is the link: http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-43079.html), where people suggested many different ways of getting it open. i'm going back to try WD-40 on the stuck cover. hope it works.

best of luck to you too! if you find a way to get it open, please post it here! i'll do likewise.

best,

mark

Nov 19, 2016 2:46 PM in response to macpt88

I had this today and was able to fix.

To get the twist-off cover off, I applied heat directly to the keyboard near the cover. I used the side of heated oven, but a soldering iron work too. I used a nickle and pliers to unscrew the cover. (I mangle up a quarter first, a nickle worked better.)

To get the batteries out, I drilled a small hole in the stuck battery. Drilling it loosened the battery. Then I screwed a wood screw into the hold I drilled. I was able to pull out the battery by grabbing the wood screw with the pliers.

The second battery was loose, but gunk and plastic cover of battery was stuck to the inside of the keyboard. I scraped off the plastic, and used aluminum foil to scrub out the inside. Then I cleaned it with vinegar and a q-tip.

I put in new batteries and I was to use the keyboard to type this.

Now I plan on removing the batteries when I'm not using the keyboard. ;-)

Apr 14, 2017 5:38 PM in response to Anthony1970

I tried most of the suggestions in this forum. Your idea was the one that worked. I used a Dremel tool instead of the hacksaw. Worked great and keyboard is still useable. I was using Duracell Coppertops. I posted theis reply earlier, but Apple took it down. Apparently this version was an "inappropriate activity" - unlike hacksaws, drilling, and heating 🙂 Or sending the keyboard to the landfill and buying a new one.

May 9, 2012 7:58 AM in response to macpt88

i managed to get it open. the WD-40 didn't really work on its own, and my dad suggested that i "tap" the cover anti-clockwise.

use a flat-tipped screw driver and align it to the right of the groove on the cover. get someone to hold the keyboard while you use a hammer to tap the end of the screwdriver. give it a few hard knocks (not too hard, of course).

after which, try opening it again. you might want to try putting WD-40 on it first, though i'm not sure if it helps.

and if all else fails, i agree wtih barry, get a new keyboard. $69 for repairing is just ridiculous!

May 28, 2013 11:40 AM in response to macpt88

I had the same problem - eventually solved with a hacksaw !

Making a small cut in keyboard body beside cover and on same axis as the batteries are inserted - this 'opened' or 'relaxed' the external thread allowing the cap to be unscrewed.

It turned out the battery had leaked and the cap still needed a bit of manipulation before it came free, but now batteries changed and typing on my wireless keyboard again.

Jun 19, 2015 6:27 AM in response to macpt88

From what I have read....I have the best answer by far for some of you..... i used new penny...it bent ...I used nickel with vice grips ...bent the nickel ... I use Duracell Batteries ONLY...I dialed the 1 800 number for Duracell...explained to the the representative that they're battery leaked in my keyboard and battery cap was stuck... the woman wanted to know if it was a coppertop... yes that is all I buy.. she wanted the date on batteries... did not know since I could not open battery cap ...offered to break it open in front of a Duracell Rep .... wasn't necessary ...she requested price of keyboard ..went to Best Buy where I bought my iMac ... price was $69.99 ...she said fine ...now sending me a debit card for $69.99 ... now I have brand new keyboard ... 🙂

Aug 21, 2015 5:09 PM in response to jimjim31e

I've been salvaging computer stuff for ages. Rebuilt many an IBM Thinkpad from parts, my desktop has an old server SATA/SAS RAID card in it that's smoking fast. Repaired monitors by replacing the blown capacitors that usually makes them die. I hate to see functioning hardware thrown away if it can be fixed and put to good use. Like giving it away (so I don't have a bunch of old crap around but someone else is happy).

A coworker threw an A1314 keyboard away from one of our few remaining Macs. Couldn't remove the plug to replace the batteries.

I have an old Mac Mini that I've resurrected with more RAM and Core2 processor, but it doesn't have a keyboard or mouse. I've got an old mouse in a drawer, don't know if it works just yet. Imagine it does. If not, I have a M$ Bluetooth mouse. And the HDD just died, so a $54 SSD will run nicely in it. Maybe I can scavenge an SSD out of one of the 2010 MB Air computers we have piled up with a miniSATA adapter.

Took the plastic cover off the center by prying easily as to not damage it, remove the electronics by pushing them out the switch end, removed one battery. Other was stuck. Cap was stuck. Removed plastic from bottom of keyboard in attempt to remove everything so I wouldn't have to worry about the keys getting damaged or wet, but the frame holding the keys is installed with what appears to be about 100 "peens" if you will. (you can remove this cover by gently prying up a corner and slowly lifting the corner to release the adhesive, but there is nothing to be gained in this)

I have a 1" thick chunk of steel bar. Covered the open end of the keyboard with some tape, bit of paper towel on the block to prevent marring and tapped it, gradually harder and harder against the block of steel. I would check progress every so often with the battery that came out easily and I could see the top more and more indicating the swollen one was moving. It finally came out. Since I didn't use the iFixIt hack to melt the bottom cover with a heat gun, it stuck back into place readily.

I used JimJim31e's idea after bending a nickel to an unrecognizable form. Big #4 flatblade screwdriver held with a pair of visegrips and was able to turn the plug. Now to clean out the corrosion. Soaking the corroded corner in vinegar (I wish I had a stronger acid), as well as the plug. Will reassemble later and have a working keyboard for free. I love free.

It will become my Kodi (XBMC) music player for my TV. How cool is it to find a useful task for an old Mac product.

Thanks JimJim31e!

Doc

Aug 21, 2015 5:58 PM in response to DrSain

Oops, JazzyOne not JimJim. The forum won't let me delete my original post and reply properly. So no waiting, but I will consider purchasing Duracell batteries just for that one.

One thing to note. When using the block of metal to tap the battery out, I did deform the aluminum around the entry hole for the electronics. A sharp knife removed just enough to put it back together. Now I have a tested and working keyboard. Joy.

Feb 28, 2016 10:30 AM in response to macpt88

Folks!

I had the same problem, but solved it easily by using a simple bore machine:-)

Put the keyboard between you knees and hold it tight and firm. Use a flat head screw for the bore machine.

Once the cover is opened, you'll need to clean out as much of the haren white material as possible in the tube and between the battery and the tube. Press down on the battery to loose it and then tap the batteries out of the tube. Or you can use WD-40 spray.

Don't forget to use rechargeable batteries next time, because Alkaline battery has a damaging leakage after a certain time.

Enjoy it!

FD

Bluetooth keyboard battery cover is stuck/fused - how do you open it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.