Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto 8.1.2 Slow To Launch

I have iPhoto 8.1.2 and a library with 16,437 photos in it. When I click on the iPhoto icon in my Dock, it takes about 23 seconds of iPhoto opening before I can actually interact with it and use it. The main window opens very quickly, but after 6 seconds my mouse pointer becomes a spinning wait cursor!

Any suggestions? Is this normal for a library of my size?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2), iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2010) 12GB RAM

Posted on Apr 21, 2012 11:34 AM

22 replies

Apr 21, 2012 12:02 PM in response to Reuben Feffer

Your problem sounds vey much like one I had for a while. User houseboats posted the following fix a while ago in the 2dd page of this topic: : spinning beachball suddenly every time...: Apple Support Communities. It worked for me.

I just called Apple Support for the same problem, and it is now working great.

He had me delete my SystemConfiguration folder and reboot...

The folder in question controls your network settings etc....

It is found.... Macintosh HD/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration

Macintosh HD being your computer root... not the user.

WARNING: Go into the System Preferences and check under sharing what your Mac is called. That name will be removed and replace by a generic name. It can mess up any syncing functions you may have setup. Just rename your Mac to what it was before you removed that file and rebooted.

If that's doesn't help post back as we have a couple other potential fixes.

OT

Apr 23, 2012 4:12 AM in response to Old Toad

Hi. I followed your instructions, but it didn't solve the problem. iPhoto still takes 24 seconds before I can actually start using it.

Deleting that SystemConfiguration folder actually lost all of my Energy Saver settings in System Preferences, in addition to the Computer Name (like you said).

If I turn off my Wi-Fi now, and click on iPhoto in my Dock, I can start interacting with it instantly. But, that doesn't seem like a great solution. I don't want to have to turn my Wi-Fi off every time I open iPhoto.

Apr 23, 2012 10:17 AM in response to Reuben Feffer

Try this: launch iPhoto with the Option key held down and create a new, test library. Import some photos and check to see if the same problem persists. if it doesn't then your current library is the culprit. It it does then it could either be the applicaiton or something in your account.

Log into another user account on your Mac and run iPhoto to see if it takes that long or not. If it does then try reinstalling iPhoto. To do so you'll have to delete the current application and all files with "iPhoto" in the file name with either a .PKG or .BOM extension that reside in the HD/Library/Receipts folder and from the /var/db/receipts/ folder,

User uploaded file

Click to view full size

Then install iPhoto from the disk it came on originally.

If iPhoto runs smoothly in the other user account it could be something in your account that's the problem. If that's the case make a temporary, backup copy (if you don't already have a backup copy) of the library and try the following:

1 - delete the iPhoto preference file, com.apple.iPhoto.plist, that resides in your

User/Home(User uploaded file)/Library/ Preferences folder.

2 - delete iPhoto's cache file, Cache.db, that is located in your

User/Home(User uploaded file)/Library/Caches/com.apple.iPhoto folder.

User uploaded file

Click to view full size

3 - launch iPhoto and try again.

NOTE: If you're moved your library from its default location in your Home/Pictures folder you will have to point iPhoto to its new location when you next open iPhoto by holding down the Option key when launching iPhoto. You'll also have to reset the iPhoto's various preferences.

If that fails continue with the following: apply the two fixes below in order as needed:

Fix #1

Launch iPhoto with the Command+Option keys held down and rebuild the library.

User uploaded file

Select the options identified in the screenshot.

Fix #2

Using iPhoto Library Manager to Rebuild Your iPhoto Library

• Download iPhoto Library Manager and launch.
  • Click on the Add Library button, navigate to your Home/Pictures folder and select your iPhoto Library folder.
  • Now that the library is listed in the left hand pane of iPLM, click on your library and go to the File ➙ Rebuild Library menu option
  • In the next window name the new library and select the location you want it to be placed.
  • Click on the Create button.

• Note: This creates a new library based on the LIbraryData.xml file in the library and will recover Events, Albums, keywords, titles and comments but not books, calendars or slideshows. The original library will be left untouched for further attempts at fixing the problem or in case the rebuilt library is not satisfactory.

May 17, 2012 4:02 AM in response to Brainflux

I haven't tried that big solution yet, but I think the thing that's making iPhoto slow to launch is the maps imagery used by Places.

When I turn Wi-Fi off and launch iPhoto, it opens really fast with no delays. But if I click the "i" button on one of the photos, the grey panel that flips out just shows a generic map of the whole World.

When I turn Wi-Fi on and launch iPhoto, it opens really slowly with a long delay. But if I click the "i" button on one of the photos, the grey panel that flips out shows an accurate map with full imagery.

Aug 4, 2012 10:47 AM in response to Reuben Feffer

I did a clean install of Mountain Lion and did not migrate anything.

When I opened Iphoto it obviously had an empty library and when it opened I got the spinning ball for several seconds.

As noted in this discussion I quit iphoto, turned off wireless, restarted iphoto and got no spinning ball.

With the spinning ball condition ocurring on an empty iphoto library and wireless turned off does this help anyone who's trying to determine why this is happening ?

Aug 4, 2012 1:01 PM in response to Reuben Feffer

Just tried those ... no joy

In another post it was suggested by an apple technician to delete the folder SystemConfiguration (Macintosh HD -> Library -> Preferences)

That does work though it knocks down your wireless connection and you have to reconfigure it again. But after a while that folder SystemConfiguration gets recreated and Iphoto goes back to the spinning ball again on the next startup.

Aug 4, 2012 3:54 PM in response to Reuben Feffer

So no problem when wifi is off .... and there is the problem with the spinning ball when wifi is on.

Deleting the SystemConfiguration folder which has network "stuff" in it temporarily fixes the problem.

So doesn't it suggest that iphoto is trying to do something involving the network and when it finishes/fails doing whatever the spinning ball stops.

The only 2 obvious network options in iphoto preferences are:-

Sharing -> Look for shared photos

General -> Check for iphoto updates automatically

Both are unchecked now ... but made no differences to fixing the problem.

iPhoto 8.1.2 Slow To Launch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
    A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.