Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to Stop Versions and Return Save-As

Death to Versions, Long Live Save-As!

I got rid of Versions and got back Save-As for Pages, Numbers, Keynote, and Preview. It also works for TextEdit.

I have done a clean install of Lion from a bootable Flash drive, reinstalled iWorks 09, refused to let iWorks do a software update, and now I have Pages and Numbers without Versions and with Save-As. Once you update iWorks it uses Versions so don't let that happen. Also you can't go back to the original iWorks programs once you update them. It says they do not work on your system when you reinstall them. You have to reinstall Lion fresh then install iWorks. I use manual updates and I remove iWorks 09 update. It is annoying but it works. No full screen support which I never used anyway as I have multiple screens.

I have also deleted the Preview program and installed the Preview from Snow Leopard. Now that is also without Version and Save-As. I don't use TextEdit but I read you can also take that from Snow Leopard and it works. The details of how to do this are on these websites:

http://osxdaily.com/2012/01/27/how-to-install-the-older-preview-app-from-snow-le opard-in-mac-os-x-lion/

http://www.formaceyesonly.com/2011/11/25/how-to-downgrade-lions-preview-and-text edit-to-snow-leopard-versions/

I have made a summary:

1. From Snow Leopard, make a copy of these:

FILE: /Applications/Preview.app

FILE: /Applications/TextEdit.app

FOLDER: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MeshKit.framework/

2. Rename the Snow Leopard Preview.app to “Previews.app” and the old TextEdit.app to TextEdits.app (Adding an S at the end)

3. Copy Previews.app and TextEdits.app to the Applications folder.

4. Copy “MeshKit.framework” to /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/

5. Download AppZapper from appzapper.com. You can use the free version 5 times, you only need to use it twice.

6. Empty your trash. This helps for the final step.

7. Drag the existing Lion Preview program to AppZapper.

8. It will tell you that it cannot delete a system App unless you change the settings. Do that.

9. Drag the existing Lion Preview program to AppZapper which deletes it.

10. See if it automatically uses this Leopard Previews to open images. If not then set this as the default program for each image type.

11. Go to the trash and collect the files for the Lion Preview program and store them in a folder in case you need them again.

12. Drag the existing Lion TextEdit program to AppZapper which deletes it.

13. Set this Leopard TextEdit as the default program for each document type you want it to use.

Now for what I do which uses Pages, Numbers and Preview, I never see Versions (thank God) and Save-As is my little friend again. 3 days to sort this out.

If Mountain Lion has not fixed this I will consider going to Windows 8. This is madness.

iPod touch (4th generation), iOS 5.1, MacBook, iPad, iPod. Lion.

Posted on Apr 21, 2012 1:42 PM

39 replies

Apr 21, 2012 2:22 PM in response to Steve Maximus

You are now running a unique OS and any issues you have or update problems will be yours alone.

I understand your grief with "versions" but you may be increasing the grief with what you have done to your OS.

If you do have a problem and post here, perhaps nobody will have an equivalent OS to duplicate your problem and see if it is "real" or related to your hack.

I do not like "versions" either, but would not modify the OS just to remove it.

Apr 21, 2012 2:23 PM in response to etresoft

You can update everything else on your system just not iWorks. It is a solution for those who want it. If you are happy with Lion and happy with no Save-As that is fine. Don't read this or do this.

As for hacking the system, it is NOT hacking. It is simply uninstalling one software program and installing another. That is not hacking.

The only reason that you need AppZapper is that Apple don't LET you change the default program to Leopard Preview. It keeps forcing you to use Lion Preview. So you have to Zapp it.

If Apple gave me choice then I wouldn't need to do this. This really isn't hacking. It is just installing some other software and asking Apple to let you use it. That software is Leopard iWorks and Leopard Preview and TextEdit.

Apr 21, 2012 2:29 PM in response to nerowolfe

Further to my other reply, the files you copy to Lion do NOT overwrite any other existing files. They are extra files so there is no issue there.

The step 4. Copy “MeshKit.framework” to /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/ does not overwrite files as there is no directory in Lion called MeshKit.framework. Therefore it is not a hack, it is just adding software to your computer.

The fact that this software came from Apple and was made for Leopard should be even more satisfying. This is not third party software and this is not a hack.

It works great. In fact for ANYONE who upgraded to Lion, the old iWorks software worked as it was intended to in Leopard on Lion. Only when you update it does it change. If you never did an update then you would have what I have here. So the idea of this being a hack is not understanding the process.

Apr 21, 2012 3:07 PM in response to nerowolfe

Perhaps you should read my article more carefully before scaring people with your statements. And look at the links. Not updating iWorks and installing some Leopard software is not running a different OS. It is still Lion. It is two basic programs, Preview and Text Edit that are from Leopard. That is not an operating system.

Consider this. You buy Lion on a flash drive from Apple as you have no internet connection. You install Lion. Your existing iWorks 09 software runs on Lion without being updated. That is perfectly reasonable and logical and it works. You are not hacking your operating system to do that. That is the equivalent of what I have done.

Therefore prehaps look into this before you make statements. My OS is Lion. My software is Apple. There is nothing unique about mysetup.

Apr 21, 2012 3:50 PM in response to Linc Davis

Another NON-Hack software instillation you can do is install Quicktime 7 on Lion.

This allows you to watch a movie full screen on one monitor and still have the other monitor visible. This is not posible on Quicktime 10.

This also gives you back the Save-As functionality if you pay for the PRO version.

The software comes from the Apple website and installs into the Utilities folder. You can set this as the default software for viewing movies if you choose to.

To get the correct version of Quicktime from Apple see http://support.apple.com/kb/DL923.

Again please do not say this is a hack. It is simply installing software from Apple on Lion.

Apr 21, 2012 5:53 PM in response to etresoft

Yes, if you never update iWorks you keep Save-As. You can update everything else on your Lion system. Everything. That is the price you have to pay for Save-As and Versions. It is a choice I happily made. I would go back to Snow Leopard if it were not for MobileMe. I offer this solution for people who want it. If you don't want to make that choice don't. People are rolling back to Snow Leopard because of this. I offer a way to stay on Lion and avoid the issues. If it is not for you please stay off this discussion. Your point is actually made in my original post. Yes you don't get to update iWorks. You do get to update everything else. Blame Apple for that.

If you read the issues you will see how bad this is affecting people. Keynote presentations that Autosave versions every 5 minutes and that takes 2 minutes to do so companies cannot make presentations. Server shared documents altered by users without their knowledge and no versions backup as Version does not work on servers, not even Apple servers. Files on Fat32 drives corrupted with no version to revert to. For myself JPEG images constantly being saved with edits at lower quality by Preview so that after 10 minutes of working on them they are blurry. For people who hate to use Lion and cannot revert to Snow Leopard and want Save-As and no Versions this is a work around. It has a cost, sure, that your iWorks will not be up to date. Everything else will be. Including Lion. I made that clear. I hope it is clearer now.

Apr 21, 2012 6:02 PM in response to etresoft

To make it completely clear, you are not hacking your system up so that it cannot be updated, you are simply CHOOSING to not update the iWorks component. That choice is made during updates where you select the details of the update and uncheck iWorks 09 Update. It is a choice.

If Apple gave us the choice to use Versions or not, or the choice to have Save-As this would not be necessary. When they removed the 3.5 inch drive from the Mac we still had a choice to buy an external one for those that wanted one. With the MacBook Air you can buy an external DVD drive. Choice. With Versions I have no choice over when Lion saves my work. I have no choice to do a simple command, Save-As. Most might be ok with Apple's new choice as so many were when the 3.5 inch drive departed. Some bought an external drive. Choice. I am giving people a choice here.

Apr 21, 2012 6:13 PM in response to Steve Maximus

Since when did Apple ever force you to use Preview or TextEdit? You can use whatever you want.

And for the record, those instructions you are touting are just awful. You can install a Snow Leopard version of Preview on your system in a safe way without hacking anything up (other than Snow Leoprad Preview). I did that myself because I wasn't a fan of Lion Preview when it first came out.

Apr 21, 2012 6:33 PM in response to etresoft

Apple don't force me to use Apple. I happen to have hardware and files and emails that are all linked to Apple and iWorks. I could use Microsoft if I want to. I'd prefer to use what I am already invested in the way I want it. I don't want to invest more money to make a system that worked for me continue to do so. I found a solution and I shared it.

Apple do force me to use Versions if I run the latest update of iWorks on Lion and they do force me to not use Save-As. I have made it clear that this response is for those people who WANT to use iWorks on Lion without Versions and with Save-As. I have seen a forum with over 66,000 views of people looking for this solution. If I could have posted it there I would have. The forum was closed. Those 66,000 people are not you. You don't want this. I get that. Don't be here. Leave this discussion for those that want the particular setup I also want. Free choice. That is what this is about.

There are also forums with people complaining about Preview and TextEdit. They WANT to use these programs with Save-As and without Versions. I don't use TextEdit. I do use Preview and I WANT to use it with Save-As and without Versions. I found a solution that works for me. Therefore I offer a solution for those that want to use it the way I do. I can use other programs. I can view images in a browser. I can use Photoshop to edit images. I can ALSO choose to use Preview the way it was before. I have that choice and Apple have tried to stop that by making Versions compulsory.

If you have a better way to make Snow Leopard Preview the default program for images please tell us all here now. I would like to know as well. I don't mean having to right click and choose Open With. I mean the automatic default program. If Apple allowed me to change my preferences to use Snow Leopard Preview I would have done that. Unfortunately they force my preferences back to Lion Preview against my choice and I had to Zapp it away.

Apr 21, 2012 6:52 PM in response to Steve Maximus

I am not scaring people - those are your words and terms.

I am simply alerting and warning people about what might happen.

My responsibility is to keep users alert and informed.

The proper way to "fix" this issue is to file a feature request with Apple.

Again, anyone following your instructions is on their own. They will have to ask you for help if there are any future problems.

How to Stop Versions and Return Save-As

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.