Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want 5gb per device

Is that so much to ask, Apple? 5gb per device. I've been thinking this for a while and I finally thought I would officially complain. It is inequitable to iDevice "power users" that we have to share the same 5gb among two devices. Why can't we have 5gb per device? I have to constantly manage which apps on which device I backup and can only back up the camera roll on one. Quite a gambling game for backing up information.

As Apple has always been about making its users beyond satisfied, I think they should correct this issue. Perhaps this sharing is part of the profit model to get us to buy more storage. Perhaps Apple has done the math and knows they can't shell out that much memory for free just because another device has been added. Or, thirdly, perhaps Apple is already planning to correct this issue in the future as a way to keep giving us just enough to stay addicted to Apple devices (a common strategy). Whatever the reason, please correct this, Apple. I could be doing so much more with more paid apps if I had more iCloud space and I would be more committed to this company than I already am.

Thank you for listening.

Anyone else feel this way?

iPhone 4, iOS 5.1

Posted on Apr 21, 2012 2:05 PM

17 replies

Aug 13, 2012 11:37 PM in response to FishPod

I do not agree, because you're not limited to 5GB of space. You can buy up to 55GB of space on icloud. Apple is just trying to make money, as well they do on every other product the make and sell. Apple will never be cheap, and if you want more then 5GB, then man up and pay the whole $20 a year. That's not even $2 a month, and with that, you will have 10GB on each one of your devices. I do not see what the problem is Sir, you spend $600-$800 on your iphone and you're trying to tell me you can not come up with $2-$5 a month for icloud.

Apr 21, 2012 2:15 PM in response to FishPod

This is a user to user community, Apple are unlikely to read your comments, if you have any suggestions that you think might enhance iCloud you can send Apple your feedback here.

Anyone else feel this way?

I am afraid I don't. Associating your storage with the device rather than your account will cause problems. For a start, what would happen when you sold the device to another and bought a new one.

Apr 22, 2012 6:47 AM in response to FishPod

Well, as you said, you can't expect Apple to keep giving free 5GB space for every device you buy that's under the same iCloud account. If you have that many devices and that much data, they do offer the space upgrade for a price. Same as most other storage businesses - like Dropbox. I don't think there's anything to correct. Apple has determined its business model.

Apr 24, 2012 7:25 PM in response to Winston Churchill

Mr. Churchill:

You wouldn't have to associate the storage with just the device. The storage is associated with your AppleID as it is and could continue that way. All Apple would have to do is recognize that that device ID is now associated with another AppleID take the 5gb away. It would, as in any current situation of selling a device, be your responsibility to have data backed up elsewhere.

Thank you for the feedback link.

Pvonk:

Why can't we expect this? Apple is known for giving beyond what people expect. The free iCloud was more than people expected. I know about paying for the upgrade--that's precisely what I am saying shouldn't be necessary. Also, I don't think it's fair to compare iCloud to Dropbox. I didn't pay $600 for device to access Dropbox. Granted, the iPad is not just for accessing iCloud, but, at that price, a little more value-added storage would be nice. I do think there is something to correct because I don't see how doing this would go against Apple's business model. You're suggesting that Apple is only trying to get me to spend more money on premium services instead of making users happy. I don't think that is true.

I also find it fascinating--from a rhetorical stance--that this idea posted on a non-Apple forum was well-received and supported. However, when I posted the idea here, it was met with resistance and a general acceptance to keep things how Apple wants it. Just thought that was interesting. I'm not implying anything by that, just noting the curiousity.

Thank you all for the feedback.

Apr 25, 2012 12:12 AM in response to FishPod

Apple aren't here. You can send feedback directly to them here: http://www.apple.com/feedback/icloud.html

However, you can easily purchase more storage for your iCloud account, (same as you can for every other cloud storage provider - Dropbox, Google Drive, Sugar Sync, SkyDrive, etc. all provide a set amount free, and more for money) which is shared among all your devices, not limited to a set amount per device.

Sharing the total amount among all devices is preferable as you may have 10GB that needs backing up on one of your devices, but only 5GB on another device. Why set a hard limit of 5GB per device if you've bought 20GB total storage?

Of course, everybody wants everything for free these days, but think about what the whole iCloud service is already providing you for free. It's not just 5GB of storage. There's also push email, contact, calendar, notes, reminders, bookmarks syncing, Find my iPhone, Find my Mac, Back to my Mac, iOS device backup. What other service offers you all that for free, and then you still want more?

Nov 19, 2012 7:54 AM in response to FishPod

I was initially thinking the same way since iCloud is so integrated into device backup. But then I thought about services like Google docs or Gmail. Your disk quota on these services are irrelevant to how many Android devices you own. The are separate services that you can leverage on your devices.

I still think that Apple should have one time usable codes with each iOS device sold for 1 year of added storage. Yet my iPad doesn't actually use much of my iCloud space. Perhaps this is due to few apps storing their state online. It is also because I would rather store important data on more reliable services than Apple's. But for now, I am quite far from filling up my quota.

Perhaps another reason for this is that I have an Android phone which has better integration with services like Google Music and Amazon Mp3. There really is no reason for me to store large files on iCloud. I would even suggest that no one tie themselves up with Apple storage because they lack competitive pressure to get them to improve their cloud services. iCloud is wonderfully implemented for app state backup and device backup, but it doesn't seem to make much sense to me to use it for storing anything else when you can use other options.

Dec 10, 2013 6:56 AM in response to FishPod

I totally agree with this post and wanted to complain the same!

As stated, the amount of money you pay per device must provide such storage. Don't forget that you have the right to create an additional account and have that 5GB for the new device, and with that Apple will give me the additional space on the second account, but that would screw the idea of having everything everywhere! SO why don't they add it for the amount of devices I own?!!!

Do we get punished for buying more apple devices?! and now every time I open my iPhone or iPad I'm doomed to watch the not enough space for backup? only backup! I don't synch my photos or use any additional iCloud support. Backing my devices up is not happenning due to storage limitation! What?! should I decrease the storage of my devices instead?!

I demand larger storage and I believe its something Apple must provide.

oh and thank you for the feedback link people!

Feb 8, 2014 5:30 AM in response to FishPod

I agree with you FishPod. I just wrote feedback about iCloud. Apple should provide at least 5Gb per device for one account. So how many devices you have logged in for your acount that much iStorage you would get. It is very reasonable, not hard to provide and nice complimentary. I own 4 aplle products, I do not feel that apple appreciate that I am supporting them by buying their products. So It dismotivate me on buying other devices.

Chinese cloud on qq offers 10Tb to their users, I do not believe that apple cannot provide at least 5 Gb per device.

Feb 8, 2014 6:02 AM in response to Radys

Chinese cloud on qq offers 10Tb to their users

Use that then if it suits your needs better.

What some Chinese company does has absolutely no bearing on what Apple does.

It is very reasonable

What you are already given by Apple for free with iCloud (push email, contact, calendar, notes, reminders, bookmarks syncing, Find my iPhone, Find my Mac, Back to my Mac, iOS device backup) is already beyond "reasonable".

If you can afford multiple devices, surely you can afford the storage too? Apple aren't a charity. Stop being a free-loader.

I want 5gb per device

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.