Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

error code -8084

i keep getting this when trying to copy a large folder from my desktop machine to my laptop machine. this happens when i am copying to the desktop of the laptop machine or if i am trying to copy it to the Documents folder and trying to overwrite an existing folder with the same name. any ideas on where to go (or how) to troubleshoot this sort of issue? TIA

Posted on Apr 21, 2012 3:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2012 6:21 PM

One of the files in the large folder has bad character or is corrupted, you'll have to do a 50% copy at a time to narrow it down.

Also you should Disk Utility > Erase Free Space: Zero before making any large data transfers to a target drive if it hasn't been done in the last 6 months or so.

6 replies

Apr 21, 2012 7:42 PM in response to ds store

hi ds.

thanks as always. i will run the disk utility as well.

this makes a lot of sense and helps a great deal. is it possible you have any idea as to why this data transfer does work without error if i do a "sneaker net" (old architecture office terminology...) and walk over to my macpro, insert a zip drive, copy the data to the drive and then walk it over to my laptop and copy from the zip - all without error? I mean, presumably there is something about the transfer from one mac volume to a second mac volume that is catching this?

also, i am about to try and hook up chronosync to actually start automatically copying this folder from one mcachine to another - which I assume you think is OK in general after i find the file that is causig this erro is this right?.

THANKS

Apr 28, 2012 12:37 PM in response to ds store

ooh man. thanks.

i seem to really need to get on top of some of this a little better. is it possible to get a little more info on this kind of thing on this thread even if it is slightly off-topic? this would let me print it out and refer to it later...

anyway, is the Erase Free Space applied to a volume that information is moving to or one that is moving from or both? also, can i ask you if setting permissions as you describe can simply be done by using Get Info on the Documents folder and expect it to travel down to everything? i seem to have problems with permissions often enough between the laptop and the desktop that i somehow think that OSX is a little buggy with this or that i handle something wrong.

lastly, is it possible that you have an idea as to what happens when i DO get an error when moving files between Volumes? I mean, say I have a folder with folders and files in it and even sub-folders in the folders. Is it possible to know definitively what happens when a COPY or a MOVE (copy with the CMD or the Option Key (i forget) held down).

i mean, assuming that i am doing something else and i have LOST the opportunity to simply do an UNDO on the Move or on the Copy, is there a definitive way to understand what has happened with respect to the original folder? say I decide i want to simply delete the partially moved or partially copied destination folder is it possible to know if the ORIGINATING folder is always intact?

I've asked a number of times on this but I seem to run into it enough to suddenly find myself in the same situation and not really understanding how to get out of it...and because I am getting work done i never have time to resolve it fully and would like to have a way to understand what to do next time if at all possible...

THANKS

Mar 9, 2014 5:12 PM in response to hotwheels22

I have an Escient Fireball machine and would like to import my 'flac' files into it from my external hard drive. Trying to drag the files and/or folders in the 'import' section of the Fireball does not work and the code of 8485 appears. Regardless of the size of the file, and regardless whether it is MP3 or flac. May I ask for any suggestions?

thanks,

error code -8084

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.