Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i know if the flashback malware is on my system?

how do i know if the flashback malware is on my system? And how can i get rid of it.?

I cant upgrade to a higer os.. becouse my powermac does not have intel.. processors.

Modelnaam: Power Mac G5 Quad

Modelaanduiding: PowerMac11,2

Processornaam: PowerPC G5 (1.1)

Processorsnelheid: 2.5 GHz

Aantal processors: 4

L2-cache (per processor): 1 MB

Geheugen: 8 GB

Bussnelheid: 1.25 GHz

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Apr 21, 2012 2:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2012 3:13 PM

I don't think you have anything to worry about. The Flashback wasn't interested in PPC Macs. Nevertheless, disable Java in the browser you use.

4 replies

Apr 22, 2012 12:54 AM in response to X423424X

X423424X wrote:

For some, if not complete peace of mind, go to F_Secure's Flashback Removal Tool web page, download their Flashback trojan detection/removal tool, and follow the instructions you find there.

Turns out their tool won't run on a PPC Mac (unless you extract and modify the AppleScript so it will run the shell script).

The only one I know of that does is Norton's. I glanced over it and gave it a test run. Looks OK, but I cannot attest to how well it might work.

And as has already been said, nobody we've run into here using a PPC Mac has been shown to be infected and all the samples I have been able to examine contained Intel only executables.

Apr 22, 2012 1:19 AM in response to MadMacs0

Turns out their tool won't run on a PPC Mac (unless you extract and modify the AppleScript so it will run the shell script).

Hmm. Just looked at the Info.plist. They did restrict it to 10.6 intel (x86_64).

Oh well, won't suggest that anymore for the ppc machines.

Of course you could always run their shell script directly from the terminal. 😉 Nah, never mind.

how do i know if the flashback malware is on my system?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.