Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Mail 4.5 won't "Send"

After many years of good service my Apple Mail has suddenly become very picky. For a week or two new messages have been dispatched to my outbox to "try later" thence to "whoosh" away when it felt like it. Lately it has become downright nasty, refusing to "send" at all. Connection check tells me "cannot connect to SMTP". A call to my ISP verified all settings were correct. Tried changing password -nothing worked. ISP tells me fault is with Apple Mail. Incoming mail is O.K.

Has anyone faced - and solved - this problem? Will re-installing Mail be the way to go?

Any comments much appreciated.

iMac

Posted on Apr 21, 2012 4:28 PM

7 replies

Apr 22, 2012 12:40 PM in response to ethernectar

Not sure this will apply to your situations, but when I had that problem a few months ago, it suddenly occurred to me that one thing in common with the e-mails I was trying to send was that those e-mails included hyperlinks. I was trying to send a link to someone, and the mail just endlessly hung up as you are describing.

I stopped the "send" process and re-opened the mail message(s). I added separate lines of straight text before and after the hyperlinks, and then re-sent. The e-mail went through the sending process with no problem.

I know it doesn't make much sense, but this was my experience.

Apr 22, 2012 2:35 PM in response to MoodyRiver

Thanks for your suggestion - very much appreciated.

Tried your workaround a few times in various ways, but no luck. In my case absolutely nothing will "Send" - even a one word email to myself.

It's ironic, I think, that I am now relying on a PC I have on the same network to send emails - not an easy thing for a proud Mac user to admit!

Thanks anyway

Cheers

Apr 25, 2012 10:43 AM in response to Eggo2

Mail finally "sending"!

After endless checking of SMTP settings etc, all to no avail, I followed this suggested solution - it worked.

(regrettably I didn't note the subscriber's name - but a tip of the hat to him/her).

To test SMTP connection: (in my case it's Rogers on port 587)

Go to Terminal and type: telnet smtp.broadband.rogers.com 587

The reply to this was "permission denied"

Tried 98.139.221.125

Tried 67.195.22.104

"Unable to contact host"

I'm running Intego's Net Barrier and sure enough both these addresses were shown as "blocked". Unblocking solved the problem.

Don't know if this will help anyone else but thought I should pass it on, just in case.

Jun 6, 2012 9:54 AM in response to Eggo2

Using OX 10.6, Mail 4.5. None of the solutions worked for me so went to att.com and plowed through a long collection of possible solutions, many wanting you to buy their fee-based support: AT&T ConnecTech. I found one that mentioned Authentication Required. So went back to Mail Preferences:Accounts:Account Information and for Outgoing Mail Sever (SMTP) clicked on Edit SMTP Server List. Clicked on Authentication and selected Password. I entered my User Name (full email address) and Password, clicked OK and all is now working.

Jul 28, 2012 6:21 AM in response to Eggo2

I am an AVID apple fan, but I have experienced the same frustration lately. I had all but given up, but then I went into my account settings and deleted the PORT ID numbers, ensured the SSL was ON and then it began to work again. That was what I had to do for each account. On the GENERAL EMAIL settings from system settings, they are all marked to USE DEFAULT PORTS and it lists several. For some reason each individual account had a 996 or 993? number in it that was NOT listed in the DEFAULT PORTS list. So that is the number I deleted.

Not sure if this makes sense but I hope it helps!

Mine are working fine for now! Hope it lasts!

Apple Mail 4.5 won't "Send"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.