Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPad vs. IPhone car charger?

Is the Ipad car charger the same one as my IPhone 3GS car charger?

iPad Wi-Fi + 4G, iOS 5.1

Posted on Apr 21, 2012 10:04 PM

11 replies

Apr 22, 2012 2:55 AM in response to Jim-

Jim, where did yu get your values:

The Apple chargger that cam with my iPone 4S say 1 amp. The charger that cam with my iPad 1 was 2 amps and the APple store also says the iPad charger is 2 amps (10 watts)

Apple iPad 10W USB Power Adapter

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC359LL/A?fnode=MTc0MjU4NjA

Jim- wrote:

The iPhone uses a 5 volt .5 amp charger. The iPad uses a 5 volt 1.2 amp charger. The iPhone charger will work, but it will not charge and allow you to use the device at the same time. It would work like a trickle charger on your car. It will get there, but it's going to take a lot longer.

Apr 22, 2012 5:01 PM in response to Joyce153

Why Apple is not making chargers that specifically say it's for iPad or iPhone.

I saw these kind of questions a lot online.

Some say using an iPad charger for iPhone will damage your iPhone, or vice versa.

Some say you can use both interchangeably, just it will charge slowly on your iPad, or make your iPhone extremely hot.

Apr 22, 2012 5:13 PM in response to newwebb

Why Apple is not making chargers that specifically say it's for iPad or iPhone.

The Apple chargers do specify that they are for iPhone and iPad. They do not even look the same. Apple does not make chargers for the automobile, only 3rd party developers do.

Some say using an iPad charger for iPhone will damage your iPhone, or vice versa.

Apple says that you can use both the iPad or the iPhone charger for both the iPad and the iPhone. Based on the device and the charger combination, the devices will just charge at different rates.

IPad vs. IPhone car charger?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.