Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best Online Backup for Tiger...

I'm looking to get this service in addition to my daily backup to an external drive.

I've tried IDrive and after spending DAYS backing up about 45GB of my files, I find their software inconsistent and unreliable.... Carbonite seems great, but it's not Tiger-compatible. Dropbox seems great, but it seems like I have to manually drop files to be backed up, I don't see how I can schedule it to update automatically my backed up files.

So what else is there for us, Tiger users?

Thanks.....

G5 Dual Core 2 GHz, Mac OS X (10.4.11), 5 GB Ram

Posted on Apr 22, 2012 12:39 AM

33 replies

Apr 22, 2012 9:50 PM in response to a brody

Thanks, but no, all I'm asking for is a recommended service that does the job, using reliable interface (or software), and compatible with Tiger (as I mentioned, Carbonite got some good reviews and seems reliable, but is not Tiger-compatible). I am willing to pay for this service, and I need at least 50 GB space.

I was seriously considering Dropbox (which I use to share some large files with customers or vendors), but I don't see how one can use this service for an incremental backup (I also don't see any encryption mentioned), and as much as I was trying, I couldn't find a way to contact them with questions......

Apr 23, 2012 3:29 AM in response to mynameismyname

Encryption is done from the user end with Disk Utility, which can make Disk Images that are encrypted, and the control-mouse click the image to make a zip archive you can store on your server via FTP. I would of course consider this feasible only if you are backing up user files. Applications, and movies unless you have fiberoptic are difficult to store remotely except on optical discs or hard drives in a vault.

Apr 23, 2012 8:16 AM in response to a brody

....So I will ask it, again, in a different way:

I use Retrospect to do my nightly incremental backup of my clients and accounting files. The files are backup to my external drive. For better protection against a catastrophic situation, I am also looking for the same backup service done — but online, so I can schedule it to automatically do the job, whether every night, twice a week, or twice a month. There are several companies offering this service, but most are not Mac-compatible, or Tiger-compatible. I am looking for a Tiger-compatible such online backup service.

Thanks.

Apr 23, 2012 4:38 PM in response to BDAqua

I still prefer to pay a bit more and rely on an established company to which I can call.... That last one (unlimited $29 a year) has no way to contact with.....

But then the software Comcast is using, which I was told is Tiger-compatible, is actually NOT.... So I still need to resort to another program that will let me upload to FTP. Tri-Backup 5 seems to be the one, but I think it needs to be the PRO version for that...

Apr 24, 2012 9:04 AM in response to mynameismyname

http://www.rbrowser.com/ I've used for manual FTP since it was out in Jaguar. They have a Lite edition that is free. You can contact them. http://rsug.itd.umich.edu/software/fugu/ offers SFTP support if Comcast can give that to you. Command line based FTP and SFTP while archaic has always been available free at the Terminal application under Application s-> Utilities -> Terminal. You just need to get accustomed to Unix commands. I recommend if you just use regular FTP, to access everything in Binary mode. ASCII Text mode is prone to a lot of errors.

Best Online Backup for Tiger...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.