Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When attempting to burn a dvd to a memorex DVD Rdl 8.5GB blank disc, the program says it's not a recordable disc. The content is a 6.5GB Quick Time Conversion video.

When attempting to burn a Quick Time Conversion video to a Memorex DVD+Rdl, 8.7GB blank disk, the program reponds that the dic is not recordable. It's a new blank disk. The video is 8.29GB in size.

iDVD '08, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 22, 2012 7:42 AM

4 replies

Apr 22, 2012 10:40 AM in response to Lou100

Lou100 wrote:

When attempting to burn a Quick Time Conversion video to a Memorex DVD+Rdl, 8.7GB blank disk, the program reponds that the dic is not recordable.

Burn through what? iDVD? Quicktime conversion from where? FCE/FCP?

Lou100 wrote:

The video is 8.29GB in size.

A Double-Layer DVD will hold a maximum of just under 8 GB. There is a difference between the nominal and actual values: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD#Capacity

Apr 23, 2012 12:32 AM in response to Lou100

Hi

I see two problems

• Memorex never worked OK on Mac when doing Video-DVDs - I only use Verbatim (more organic dye in them)

• Size in Gbs - iDVD doesn't care about Gbs at all only duration. And Duration is the sum of Movie time AND MENU TIME.

I have 500Mb files that are to large to fit and 50Gb files that fit's nicely.

iDVD 08, 09 & 11 has three levels of qualities. (version 7.0.1, 7,0.4 & 7.1.1) and iDVD 6 has the two last ones

• Professional Quality

(movies + menus up to 120 min.) - BEST (but not always for short movies e.g. up to 45 minutes in total)

• Best Performances

(movies + menus less than 60 min.) - High quality on final DVD (Can be best for short movies)

• High Quality (in iDVD08 or 09) / Best Quality (in iDVD6)

(movies + menus up to 120 min.) - slightly lower quality than above

Menu can take 15 minutes or even more - I use a very simple one with no audio or animation like ”Brushed Metal” in old Themes.

About double on DL DVDs.

Yours Bengt W

Apr 23, 2012 7:12 AM in response to Lou100

Lou100 wrote:

The file is a Quick Time Conversion from Final Cut Express. And the size of the file is 3.47GB not 8.76GB.

Ok, what sequence settings did you use in FCE? If you used DV or AIC you should export as Quicktime movie. Avoid Quicktime Conversion at all costs ... it WILL mess things up. You should be able to import your file directly into iDVD and author your disc (iDVD will do the conversion to MPEG-2 for you - see Bengt's excellent explanation about time vs. file size).

When attempting to burn a dvd to a memorex DVD Rdl 8.5GB blank disc, the program says it's not a recordable disc. The content is a 6.5GB Quick Time Conversion video.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.