Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Copy Paragraph Style doesn't do its job all the time.

If I have a paragraph style in pink, I will select that text, copy paragraph style and paste it onto another selection of text, turning it pink also.

Usually, if I past the style onto a selection of text in the MIDDLE of a sentence, it will turn the whole sentence pink.

Lately, pasting paragraph style DOES NOT paste what I copied (e.g. turning the sentence to pink italics or even to blue, something which I used in another document at another time).

Also, for about 30 minutes in ONE day, pasting paragraph style into the MIDDLE of a sentence only turned my selection pink, which was something I liked. Then as soon as this function came, it disappeared.

Please help!

MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Apr 22, 2012 7:54 AM

5 replies

Apr 22, 2012 11:18 AM in response to MiriamAdi

I am not sure I completely understand what you are describing, but I may be able to clarify a few points.

Pasting a paragraph style should apply it to every paragraph containing the current selection. That is, for example, if you select from the middle of one paragraph to the middle of the next, then paste a paragraph style, it should apply from the beginning of the first selected paragraph to the end of the next, because, naturally enough, paragraph styles apply to entire paragraphs. If you only want to apply a style to a smaller selection, you have to use character styles.

Text color and italics are really character style elements; while a paragraph style will include character style elements, it will only include them from the first character in the selection used to define the paragraph style (a selection may include many character styles, but a paragraph style can only have one, so it uses the first).

Jan 22, 2013 7:54 AM in response to MiriamAdi

The button for Copy style or paste style is not working. So I tested it using a numbered list with paragraphs.

First:

I went to text I wanted to match to others, used the menu bar and drop-down lists for "Format" / "copy character style". Then I went to the other ordered list and selected the new text and used the drop-down list "format" / "paste character style" and it worked... Matched font, size, color etc.

Second:

I repeated the above steps but instead of using the drop-down lists on the menu bar, I used the button on the tool bar called "Copy Style" and "Paste Style". Note: in the past using these buttons has worked, I have used them all the time, but for some reason, it is now not working.

So when I did the same thing, hit "copy style" button I checked the drop-down list to see if "copy character style" was not greyed out and it wasn't. I then selected the new text to change, and hit "paste style" the button. Nothing happened but it changed the ordered list level (which did not match the original text level) So I checked the drop-down menu to see if I could even hit "paste character style" and sure enough, it was not even an option, it only had "paste paragraph style". Even though prior, when using the drop-down menu for "copy character style" the option for "paste character style" was available... So something is wrong with the buttons for the "copy style" and "paste style".... They worked in the past, and now they are not... it was just a lot easier to use the buttons versus having to navigate though drop-down menus.

Jan 22, 2013 10:10 AM in response to Bostonian_eskimo

The buttons only copy paragraph styles and if there is a mix of styles in the paragraph they don't know what to copy.

Whereas the menu items have both copy paragraph and character styles.

If you look to the right of the menu items they have keyboard shortcuts. Use those to speed up the copy/paste.

Using copy and paste styles is bad practice, creating inconsistencies which you can't fix universally as you can with using named styles in the Styles Drawer. You can also apply f-keys to named styles which further speeds up the styling process and maintains consistency.

Peter

Copy Paragraph Style doesn't do its job all the time.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.