Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Not sure if this is the place to ask this question but......

I am looking for a Mac program that will do the following:

1) First, and foremost, it must be affordable!

2) Be able to input a variety of digital video and audio formats, especially ts or m2t video files and with 5.1 Dolby surround intact.

3) As far as editing features I need something fairly basic, cropping and trimming of clips, audio/video fade in and out.

4) Be able to output to DVD, AVCHD, and Blu-Ray WITH 5.1 Dolby Surround sound intact. NOT just stereo!

5) Lastly, it must run adequately on my Mac Mini (Late 2009), 2.53gHz processor with 8 GB ram.

It would seem this is a lot to ask but I have found a Windows program that does do all these things and DOES run fine on my Mac Mini using Windows XP with Parallels 7, Sony Creative Software Movie Studio HD Platinum 11! I would much rather have a native Mac program do all this but everything is too expensive. The Sony program I found for a little as $49.00 and it is tempting but I just have a problem buying a PC program for something a Mac shoudl be able to do easily!

Anyway, before I purchase the Sony program does anyone have any ideas or suggestions.

Thanks, and sorry if this is not the appropriate place to ask this question but I have been so frustrated trying to find something for the Mac that isn't $100s of dollars!

Sincerely,

Jeff Bivans

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 8 gb RAM

Posted on Apr 22, 2012 8:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 22, 2012 10:32 AM

Jeffrey Bivans wrote:

I would much rather have a native Mac program do all this but everything is too expensive.

My advice would be to run the software natively under Windows using Bootcamp. In this price range the only thing you can try is iMovie.

4 replies

Apr 22, 2012 11:14 AM in response to mishmumken

Thanks for the input, I sort of thought that would be the answer but wanted to just put that question out there. I have not used bootcamp since my copy of XP is old and does not have even Service Pack 1. And it is my undertanding that with Boot Camp I have to have a copy of XP that has at least Service Pack 1 to begin with. But I will have to investigate that possibility. I hate soooooo much to admit that there might be a real reason for me to use a PC!! Ugh!!! lol

Thanks, again for your input!

Apr 23, 2012 3:56 PM in response to Jeffrey Bivans

One thing I'm willing to pay a little bit more from the Apple Store is vetting and updates. If you buy a software there then at least it has been vetted before you load it on your machine.

Personally, I'm very leery of what programs I load/save on my computer. Your mileage may vary.

The other nice thing are the updates and security patches (hopefully Apple will improve in this department now). You don't have to remember to get them.

Price is important but be sure to compare apples with apples. Not every purchase of a program is equal and sometimes you don't know the differences until you buy one. For example, some will include updates, some will not, and that may be one reason why one source costs less than another. The Apple store mark-up is significant but that may not be the whole picture.

Remember: Buyer beware and good luck.

Message was edited by: Searchin99

Apr 24, 2012 7:45 AM in response to Searchin99

I agree, 110%, I would much rather purchase either Apple or Mac native software but the offerings are limited. I have been using Macs since the late 80's and I always have tried to buy Apple softwrare first. I still haven't pulled the trigger yet on anything but sadly it doesn't seem anyone in the Mac world has anything that can compete with the Sony software.

One of my reasons for doing this is to be able to get HD content to burn to Blu-Ray which is another problem. Finding a burner to work with my Mac(s) is hit or miss. I know I can't be the only person who wants to do this. Clogging up my hard drives with all this video is not what I want. Burn to dsc and store it until I want to watch it is my thinking. And plus I can then take the disc(s) to someone elses house and they can watch it without any problems.

Anyone with any fisrt hand experience with what external Blu-Ray burners might work with my Mac Mini, running Snow Leopard 10.6.8, would also be appreciated!

Thanks, again for everyone's input!

Not sure if this is the place to ask this question but......

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.