Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes CPU Usage on i7 >100% !!

iTunes (10) on my 3 month-old MacBook Pro i7 has just started causing the CPU usage to shoot 100% - when i try to quit, it goes to the saving iTunes dialog - forcing me to force quit. - What's happened?!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Apr 22, 2012 8:43 AM

8 replies

Apr 22, 2012 10:25 AM in response to surfmatto

I have the same issue also, 2011 iMac i7, iTunes 10. Just started today, although its been about a week since I opened iTunes. I also noticed my RAM usage was very high - 9gb. For reference, I also had multiple tabs open on Chrome with no other programs running. I am running 12gb of RAM so this shouldn't be an issue.

Apr 23, 2012 4:56 PM in response to surfmatto

Doublechecking, surfmatto ... are you getting that level of CPU usage when you're playing from the Mini Player?

If so, it seems to happen when the main itunes player is set to Cover Flow rather than List view.

If you set iTunes to List view prior to switching to the Mini Player, does that stop the excessive CPU use while in Mini Player?

Apr 24, 2012 4:08 PM in response to surfmatto

Unfortunately for me this doesn't seem to remedy the 100%+ CPU usage (I don't get how it can get above 100% ?! - Must be the Intel TurboBoost feature....).

It's the same whether in MiniPlayer or full view. Playing any tune.

Really frustrating as when I ultimately have to force-quit, I can't re-open iTunes "due to the file being missing or locked" causing me to re-start the Mac.

Come on Apple!!!! - FIx it!!!!

Jan 8, 2013 5:30 PM in response to vinedsel

Has worked for me too (thanks den.thed). 17" MBP early 2011 running OS X 10.7.5 and i7. I'm still using iTunes 10.7 (21) and have been shutting it down or turning it off when doing almost anything else, even scrolling through this thread. Seems an oversight to have CoverFlow running even when the iTunes interface is miniaturised, especially when it requires so much processor capacity? I guess the situation's been addressed by dropping CoverFlow in the latest iteration of iTunes, an upgrade I'm still contemplating.

iTunes CPU Usage on i7 >100% !!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.