Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I rescue a 'corrupted' iPhoto file from a CD?

Hey guys, I recently decided to do a full reinstall of my Macbook Pro, in order to backup my iPhoto library - I burned it onto a CD.

The problem is now I'm trying to copy the file back onto my newly reformatted Macbook and it's giving me an error.

Is there a way I can access the innards of my iPhoto library and rescue what I can?

Thanks

iPhoto '11, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Apr 22, 2012 9:38 AM

7 replies

Apr 22, 2012 12:03 PM in response to MykeOneTwo

How did you burn the library to the DVD disk? Did you use the Share ➙ Burn menu option or just drag the library package from the Pictures folder onto the DVD and burn?

Create a new folder on your Desktop, name it Recovered iPhoto Library and drag the contents of the iPhoto library folder on the CD, one by one, into it. This should isolate exactly what file is giving you the trouble.

If the problem file is an image file you may be able to copy all of the files by that one into that new folder. Then try opening the new folder with iPhoto by launching iPhoto with the Option key held down, select Choose Library and navigate to the the folder on the Desktop in the window and select it.

You may end up with a "missing" photo in the library window but since it's only one just delete it.

OT

Apr 22, 2012 12:09 PM in response to Old Toad

Thanks for replying, I tried your technique of extracting each file individually and discovered any file marked "Alias" or with the extention ".apdb" won't copy. Everything else seems to work fine. I've tried using the option key but it refuses to open the library saying it is Locked (Possibly because it's on a DVD disk)

To burn it on to the disk, I simply burned the file iPhoto Library onto a disk found in My Pictures.

Apr 22, 2012 2:47 PM in response to MykeOneTwo

You can create a new library with the original images and keep the same events that you had.

Start over from scratch with new library

Start over with a new library and import the Originals (iPhoto 09 and earlier) or the Masters (iPhoto 11) folder from your original library as follows:

1. Move the existing library folder to the desktop.

2. Open the library package like this.

User uploaded file

Click to view full size

3. Launch iPhoto and, when asked, select the option to create a new library.

4. Drag the Originals (iPhoto 09 and earlier) or the Masters (iPhoto 11) folder from the iPhoto Library on the desktop into the open iPhoto window.

User uploaded file

Click to view full size

This will create a new library with the same Events as the original library but will not keep the metadata, albums, books slideshows and other projects.

How can I rescue a 'corrupted' iPhoto file from a CD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.