Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to receive a copy of a child's imessages

My child received an iPod touch for his birthday. While he is pretty trustworthy, I do want to be able to keep tabs on what he's texting through iMessage with his friends (some of whom have been known to share inappropriate (in my eyes) information). He knows that I can access his email account at any time and he doesn't have the password to it and is aware that monitoring accounts is part of the deal for him to have an iPod. Is there a way to have his imessages sent to me? I have an iPhone 4S with his email account linked but I want to make sure I have it all set up right. I will also say, I'm having issues getting iMessages from him (he thinks he's cool now that he can text us, lol).

Thanks!

iPod touch, iOS 5.1

Posted on Apr 22, 2012 10:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 22, 2012 10:54 AM

Add his email address under Settings > Messages > Receive At...

21 replies

Apr 2, 2013 6:46 PM in response to stevejobsfan0123

Hi, I am trying to monitor my 12 year old daughter's imessages (she is using an old iphone with wi-fi only) on my iphone5. Her imessage goes to her gmail address, which I also monitor on my phone, and I listed her gmail address on my phone under:

Settings/message/send & receive/ you can be reached by iMessage at:

But I'm not seeing her imessages.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

Aug 21, 2017 9:37 PM in response to Jessy0419

Looks like this issue has never been solved? One would think with a Family Account, I should easily be able to track my child(ren)'s messages / usage easily. I'm still hitting the same wall many on here have: I cannot add my email to their account (won't verify), and on my iPhone 7+, I'm not even given the option to add a new address. Any updates?

Aug 4, 2015 11:43 AM in response to stevejobsfan0123

This is an old thread, but this solution does not seem to work when the child's device is an iPad mini. I am not allowed to add the childs email / apple ID to my device. Is there a way I can see my child's texts from his iPad mini on my device? I have tried adding the child's address under both scenarios...children's device signed in under both my ID and theirs.

Aug 4, 2015 12:48 PM in response to lllaass

That would appear to be the case, but doesn't answer the question however. Is there a way for me to view my kid's iMessages they send from their iPad mini? I am also not allowed to use their iCloud email on my device...apparently since it is also an Apple ID...even though they have been identified as family members under the age of 13. C'mon Apple....this stuff is supposed to be easy! Family sharing looks like a bust to me.

Jan 19, 2016 2:41 PM in response to stevejobsfan0123

I am running into something here that I'm not sure is related to a new iOS but I have tried to add the same email address to both devices under Messages>Send & Receive. I can add the 2nd email to one Apple ID (my daughter's) but when I try to add the same one to my device under Messages>Send & Receive it tells me it can't verify because it's already being used.

How to receive a copy of a child's imessages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.