Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac and Canon MX882 AIO - will print, won't scan

My iMac (Mac OS X, 10.7.3) and Canon MX882 are both connected wirelessly to a Linksys E4200 router. The printer works fine. However, I cannot scan from the Mac. Canon provides software called MP Navigator; when I try to scan using MP Navigator, I receive this error message:

Cannot scan for these reasons:

- scanner is turned off

- USB cable is disconnected

Please check and try again.

Scanner driver will be closed.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Joe

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Apr 22, 2012 2:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 22, 2012 3:31 PM

You either don't have the scanner driver installed or if you have the scanner driver installed, then you don't have it configured for the network scanning.

So the first thing is to ensure you have the scanner driver installed. If you open Finder and select Applications, there should be a Canon Utilities and inside of here will be the IJ Network Selector EX folder. If you don't have this folder then go to your local Canon web site and download the scanner driver, not the iCA driver, for your MX882.

If you do have this folder then open Canon IJ Network Scanner Selector app. The MX882 should be listed and if so, change the selection from Do Not Use to Canon MX880 Series. Then click OK and open MP Navigator again.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 22, 2012 3:31 PM in response to joeh968

You either don't have the scanner driver installed or if you have the scanner driver installed, then you don't have it configured for the network scanning.

So the first thing is to ensure you have the scanner driver installed. If you open Finder and select Applications, there should be a Canon Utilities and inside of here will be the IJ Network Selector EX folder. If you don't have this folder then go to your local Canon web site and download the scanner driver, not the iCA driver, for your MX882.

If you do have this folder then open Canon IJ Network Scanner Selector app. The MX882 should be listed and if so, change the selection from Do Not Use to Canon MX880 Series. Then click OK and open MP Navigator again.

Apr 30, 2012 3:42 PM in response to ramy121

ramy121 wrote:

Any ideas?

Same as the OP; you don't have the MX410 scanner driver installed or, if you do have it installed, then you don't have it configured for network scanning.

So, for starters, here is a link to the scanner driver. With this installed you will have the IJ Network Selector EX folder located in Applications > Canon Utilities. Open this utility and the MX410 should be shown. Select it and click OK to close the window. Next, open MP Navigator and select the Preferences then General and for the Product Name, ensure the network MX410 is set.

Dec 13, 2014 8:00 AM in response to nathanfromalexandria

I finally got my MX-700 to work with Image Capture under Yosemite.

Canon's software uses a TWAIN driver. To use the Mac OS apps, you have to install Canon's ICA driver:

http://usa.canon.com/nw3s/CanonUSA/DownloadContents/English/0100213301EN.htm

Install the driver, then re-boot the Mac.

Then, turn off and turn on the device.

Then, in the Printers and Scanners contol panel, you have to add the device. (Even though it's already there as a printer, it has to be added as if you had a separate scanner.)

You should now see the Scanner as an option in Image Capture. In Preview, the "Import from..." command should now be active as well.

iMac and Canon MX882 AIO - will print, won't scan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.