Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Random hangups

I just upgraded to iLife '06. I use GarageBand a lot, and 3 is awesome, even more so than 2 was.

GB 2 had some problems with crashing every time I exported to iTunes. But GB 3 seems to be even less stable so far. Occasionally when I start a new project the entire program locks up. Exporting to m4a or iTunes also will occasionally hang it up, and so will dragging the pitch adjustment sliders on loops sometimes -- one time it hung up and was using 101% of the processor time, and caused a kernel panic! There's probably other things that could hang it up, too.

Quite frankly, it's getting to be very annoying and time consuming, waiting for GB to load every time it crashes, and then redoing all my work. Is it some kind of software or hardware problem? Does anyone have any ideas?

PM G4 Quicksilver, 1.2 Ghz, Mac OS X (10.4.5), 120GB Maxtor HD, 640MB RAM

Posted on Mar 4, 2006 12:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2006 1:39 PM

There is/was no blanket problem with GB (2 or 3) as you describe which means it's something specific to your system.

Several things to try:

Repair permissions.

Try running GB from a different User Account

Boot from your OS CD/DVD and run a repair on the hard drive.

I'd probably try them in that order (Repairing permissions is just a good thing to do every so often anyway)

--HangTime [Will Compute for Food] B-|>
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 4, 2006 1:39 PM in response to upbeatpenguin

There is/was no blanket problem with GB (2 or 3) as you describe which means it's something specific to your system.

Several things to try:

Repair permissions.

Try running GB from a different User Account

Boot from your OS CD/DVD and run a repair on the hard drive.

I'd probably try them in that order (Repairing permissions is just a good thing to do every so often anyway)

--HangTime [Will Compute for Food] B-|>

Random hangups

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.