Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why does my iphone send texts as emails?

iPhone 4, iOS 5

Posted on Apr 22, 2012 5:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2013 4:45 PM

UNACCEPTABLE! Why did my phone suddenly start texting people using either my phone number OR my email address? I couldn't figure it out until today, a full two months after trying to see if it was T-mobile's fault.

I have now changed it to use only my phone number as a caller ID, but everyone who recieved messages via my email account CAN'T TEXT ME BACK, becuase they simply respond to my initial texts which were from my email address, which they can't resond to.

This is a really big deal. How do I get THEM to erase these text folders with my email address attached?

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 6, 2013 4:45 PM in response to totallymd

UNACCEPTABLE! Why did my phone suddenly start texting people using either my phone number OR my email address? I couldn't figure it out until today, a full two months after trying to see if it was T-mobile's fault.

I have now changed it to use only my phone number as a caller ID, but everyone who recieved messages via my email account CAN'T TEXT ME BACK, becuase they simply respond to my initial texts which were from my email address, which they can't resond to.

This is a really big deal. How do I get THEM to erase these text folders with my email address attached?

Oct 5, 2012 1:50 PM in response to CRUSHNO1

This was driving me crazy but I've cracked it!!

Go to: Settings, Messages, Send & Receive. My mobile number was greyed out and wouldn't allow me to select it. My email address was highlighted but it also allowed me to "Add An Email". I selected my current email address and it gave me the option to delete it. Once I deleted my email address, it automatically reverted to my mobile number!!

Hip hip hooray. I can relax at last.

May 5, 2012 11:28 AM in response to digi geek

The Caller ID setting is only visible if you have more than one thing listed in Receive At. (The reason is that if there is only one Receive At option there is no reason for having a Caller ID setting as there is only one option for your ID.) I'm not sure what problem you are trying to solve, but if you enable iMessage and it is verified you will see both your number and the email address associated with your Apple ID listed in Receive At, and the Caller ID setting will be visible so you can choose which one you want to use to identify your outgoing messages.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.