Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PowerBook G4 in 2012...

I grabbed a Powerbook 1.25 from ebay for 60 bucks, because it was "broken", a spare 5400 80Gb and reseating the Airport card, and I had a working PowerBook.. I threw 2GB of ram and Leopard on it and I think it works fine but it really seems to lag in the iTunes dept and I'm not really sure what else to do with this thing, I bought it on a whim, a project that was easy to fix, I want to find some old games but with out classic I feel limited, I would go with Tiger in a heartbeat to get classic, but I am using it to make a master collection of iTunes Match tracks sanitized with 256 AAC, any suggestions?, I just want to utilize it better than a iTunes machine, I am amazed how well a 8 year oled laptop runs with 10.5 but it does feels a tad slow on some things, I want to expierence the ultimate PPC mobile expierence, but I figured a 1.67 wasnt much different than a 1.25, was I wrong? Would a 1.67 offer a better expierence? Seems like a silly premise, I just am curious....

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7.3), MacBook 2,1 2.0GHz, 4GB Ram, 250 HD

Posted on Apr 22, 2012 8:03 PM

4 replies

Apr 23, 2012 5:34 AM in response to Dr. Daniel Jackson

If you want to compare stats, go to the xbench site at http://db.xbench.com/ where you can look at benchmark runs for one 1.25Ghz Powerbook and a zillion 1.67Ghz machines (odd that there is only one 1.25Ghz system with a complete test versus so many 1.67Ghz systems).

I have several 1.67Ghz PowerBooks, and have not owned a 1.25Ghz model, however, given that the PowerPC has been left behind in today's Intel-based world, I'd say every bit of PowerPC Ghz you can utilize would be worthwhile for the best PowerBook experience. Of course it depends on what applications you're using and whether web access is on the task list.

PowerBook G4 in 2012...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.