Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Desktop/Screensaver Preferences

Hi there,

I recently installed Snow Leopard on a first gen Core Solo Mini with 2 gigs of RAM, and migrated a whole account data from another computer running Lion. When I go to Desktop/Screensaver preferences, I cannot get to the desktop preferences at all, and no screensavers appear on the left box. I tried copying the Screensavers folder from another HDD (an older SL install that works as it should), restarted, but no dice.

Does anybody have any idea of what's going on?

TIA

Posted on Apr 22, 2012 8:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 22, 2012 8:46 PM

Is that the only problem with the install? If not, you might try installing again sooner rather than later.

If yes, then try making a new user account, then logging into that account. If the problem doesn't affect the new user account, log back into the affected account and delete these:

Home > Library > Preferences > com.apple.screensaver.plist

Home > Library > Preferences > com.apple.systempreferences.plist

Then logout and log back in again.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 22, 2012 8:46 PM in response to Jitanjafora

Is that the only problem with the install? If not, you might try installing again sooner rather than later.

If yes, then try making a new user account, then logging into that account. If the problem doesn't affect the new user account, log back into the affected account and delete these:

Home > Library > Preferences > com.apple.screensaver.plist

Home > Library > Preferences > com.apple.systempreferences.plist

Then logout and log back in again.

Apr 22, 2012 8:57 PM in response to Jitanjafora

Jitanjafora wrote:

I recently installed Snow Leopard on a first gen Core Solo Mini with 2 gigs of RAM, and migrated a whole account data from another computer running Lion.

You can't do this, Apple changed things in Lion especially in the hidden Users/Library, can't use Lion OS X files in Snow Leopard

You will need to manually copy your data out of the migrated from Lion user account folders that contain anything Music, Pictures, Movies etc., (except Library) off the machine to a regular storage drive.

Then your going to need to create another Admin user (if you don't have one already) log into it and delete the migrated from Lion user account, reboot, then recreate the same named user account, this will give you a 10.6 version of the Users/Library again, no Lion taint.

Then log into it and return files, but not the iPhoto Library or the iTunes folder, you will need to first get the orignal pictures and music out and reimport them into the 10.6 versions of these programs.

To get the orignal photo's out of the 10.7 iPhoto Library, right or control click on the 10.7 iPhoto Library and "show package contents" inside is a Originals folder, move that out and open 10.6 iPhoto and import that folder of pictures, they will go into the 10.6 iPhoto Library in the Pictures folder automatically.

In the 10.7 iTunes folder there is another inside folder that just contains your music etc. copy that out and import into 10.6 version of iTunes, you music will then be imported into the 10.6 version of the iTunes Music folder, your 10.7 playlists will be gone unfortunatly. 😟

That's all I can help you with there, but the same tactic must be played for any other software that was tainted by Lion verisions.

What your doing basically is "reverting to Snow Leopard" Apple doesn't expect people to do this when they employed the migration assistant/ TimeMachine system, it's all forward and no reverse.

Create a new TM drive on the 10.6 system

Read this here, it's basically what your doing, reverting from 10.7 to 10.6, but your using another machine with 10.6 installed already.

How to revert your Mac to Snow Leopard

Read this here, bootable clones are superior to TimeMachine's limitations.

 Most commonly used backup methods explained

https://discussions.apple.com/community/notebooks/macbook_pro?view=documents

Apr 23, 2012 8:24 PM in response to Jitanjafora

In the end, I decided not to bother, deleted the whole thing and just cloned my good SL install from the other HDD.

I must say, I hate Lion with a passion. I think Apple has completely gone in the wrong direction. I never thought I would make the jump to Linux, but the Lion disaster made me. I'm now using Snow Leopard and Linux Mint 12.

Cheers!

Apr 24, 2012 11:17 AM in response to ds store

Good to know we're on the same page :-)

A quick three reasons why I hate Lion:

1) RAM hog --big time.

2) No consistent way to assign applications to particular spaces

3) Broke too many good, useful pieces of third-party software for no good reason

This is just off the top of my head. There are more --oh much, much more.

Snow Leopard does all that beautifully. And Linux Mint 12 just rocks. (I'm using both the main Gnome edition, Lisa, and the Debian one.) The only reason I cannot do all my work in Linux Mint is because LibreOffice, although a superb piece of software in its own right, does not do well multiple languages and does not do split windows at all, so I have to rely on MS Word.

Apr 25, 2012 6:13 PM in response to ds store

Try Cairo Dock. I use with OpenGL disabled, because it gets a little too distracting for me. (One of the reasons why, as much as I like KDE, I usually prefer Gnome or LXDE.) But it works great, and it has a Mac OS X theme that makes it look exactly like the dock in SL, so you get the best of both worlds.

As a matter of fact, Gnome with the Cairo Dock is even more SL than SL itself, in a way, if that makes any sense.

Unity is perhaps proof that the Ubuntu project is going in Apple's current (mis)direction...

Desktop/Screensaver Preferences

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.