Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot install iTunes 10.6.1 on XP SP3.

I bought and new iPhone and tried upgrading iTunes inorder to sync my tunes to me new phone.

I checked for a new updat in iTunes and it downloaded an installer for version 10.6.1, The install begins to install, but never completes. It stops with

an error message stating: "There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor".

Any advice? I am reluctant to uninstall iTunes to remendy the install. That could potentially leave me without iTunes at all, given that the installer package seems to to be defective.

iPhone 4S, Windows XP

Posted on Apr 22, 2012 10:59 PM

1 reply

Apr 22, 2012 11:25 PM in response to gshane

Repair your Apple software update.

Go to START/ALL PROGRAMS/Apple Software Update. If it offers you a newer version of Apple Software Update, do it but Deselect any other software offered at the same time. Once done, try another iTunes install

If you don't find ASU, go to Control Panel:

START > CONTROL PANEL > Add n Remove Programs > highlight ASU and click CHANGE then REPAIR.

Cannot install iTunes 10.6.1 on XP SP3.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.