Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro Audio Won't Work

My MacBook Pro just lost all audio - it doesn't matter whether I plug in headphones or not, nothing plays.

A red light is not on inside the headphones plug-in.

And I have not installed any recent software.

Help!!!

Thank you!

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2008)

Posted on Apr 23, 2012 5:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 23, 2012 7:04 AM

See if a PRAM reset will solve the problem:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1895

Ciao.

14 replies

May 10, 2012 10:52 AM in response to Zyriab

Zyriab, greetings friend; I clicked on your link and found nothing about PRAM. What am I doing wrong?

You do make a good point. If some individuals would go that extra mile, then they could solve their problems without assistance. But when many are as obtuse as I am, well, you have to take pity and guide them gently in the right direction.

Best regards.

Ciao.

Jul 26, 2012 9:32 PM in response to allenrice

Hey All!

I've been scouring the threads and I have still found no answer to a near same issue. Three weeks ago I was watching a youtube video when my sound suddenly changed like it was being played through a cellphone speaker. I plugged my external speakers into the port and the sound was mute, but the sound control was not muted out, it was on maximum. I opened up my system preferences and my output was set to external speakers and the speakers balance was set to equal and the volume was up to FULL.

So I unplugged my speakers and shutdown my MBP . When I turned it back on there was NO start-up chime. Once it loaded I played an itunes song and the sound was "tinny" and sounded like it was ocming out of a cell phone speaker. I plugged in my external speakers and the sound came through Fresh and clear and loud and rich. Other threads said to check to see if the switch inside the audio-out port was stuck and a red light was on, but this wasn't the case.

I've also reset the PRAM three times and the SMC. I've also reinstalled OS 10.7.4. No change with the sound.

There is no chime when I restart the MBP, and the sound ***** if i'm not playing them through my eternal speakers. Can anyone please tell em what the **** is going on with my kick *** laptop! 🙂

No. I don't have apple care. And I shouldn't have to take this in seeing how the osund works through the audio out port.

Has anyone else experienced this issue which is obviously not by User error.

Thanks.

2.3 Ghz Intel Core i5

4 GB 13333 Mhz DDR3

OS 10.7.4

Dec 20, 2013 4:14 PM in response to allenrice

i have this problem everytime i start uo my mbp, found out that it is because i had installed logmein, wich redirects the sound from your computer to the logmein drivers, if you have soundflower or anything like this installed on the mac then just go into the sound preferences and double click the "internal speakers" option then check it works by using the volume buttons, hope this helps

MacBook Pro Audio Won't Work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.