Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Create a smart album with x MP photo's

Hello,

I want to create some smart albums where I collect photo's with a specific pixel size. For example 7 MP photo's and 9 MP photo's. I see in the EXIF info only pixel height ad pixel width sizes, and what I need is the height x width pixel sizes.

Is this search option available in Aperture?

iMac (21.5-inch Late 2009), Mac OS X (10.7.3), AppleTV, iPhone 4S, iPad, MacBook

Posted on Apr 23, 2012 6:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 23, 2012 7:50 AM

User uploaded file

The search option is available in the Aperture metadata tags, not in the EXIF. In the Aperture tags you can search for "Pixel Size" or "Master Pixel Size". But you need to know the exact width and height to search for the product, like in the above example.

Regards

Léonie

20 replies

Apr 23, 2012 11:15 AM in response to Lt.Tuvok

Maybe writing a script will help me.

You are challenging me 🙂

Try the following script (but not on your main Aperture Library):

Open AppleScript Editor and paste it in; then select some images in Aperture and press the run button.

The script creates a custom field "NumberOfPixels" and writes the product of width and height to this field (for each of the selected images).

Can you go from here on your own? If not, post back.

Cheers

Léonie

tell application "Aperture"

set imageSel to (get selection)

if imageSel is {} then

error "Please select an image."

else

repeat with i from 1 to count of imageSel

tell item i of imageSel

set w to value of EXIF tag "PixelWidth"

set h to value of EXIF tag "PixelHeight"

set numPixels to (round (w * h)) as string

makenewcustom tagwith properties {name:"NumberOfPixels", value:numPixels}

end tell

end repeat

end if

end tell

Apr 23, 2012 12:12 PM in response to Frank Caggiano

Maybe I'm missing something

Probably localization and/ or arithmetic rounding?

I tried both "Pixel Size includes 8.0" and "Pixel Size includes 8,0", both showed up as empty selections, even with the "Pixel Size" showing as "8,0" in the Metadata tab.

I am glad it works on your machine, for I seem to remember that I did previously exactly what you are showing, and it used to work.

Apr 23, 2012 12:38 PM in response to léonie

Are you sure you have 8.0 mp images in the search scope? 😉

Don't know how arithmetic rounding could effect this but localization is a strong possibility. As I recall Aperture doesn't play nice with non-English (actually American) dates so I suppose it could be an issue here.

It would be interesting to see if you switch to American number representation if it would work for you. Those silly coma's where the periods should be can cause all sorts of trouble 😝

What if you just did 8, does it at least match any number in those fields? What about (8 just tried it here and it matched. Just curious.

regards

Apr 23, 2012 12:57 PM in response to Frank Caggiano

Are you sure you have 8.0 mp images in the search scope? 😉

do you really need to ask? 😁

Yes, I sure had.

It would be interesting to see if you switch to American number representation if it would work for you. Those silly coma's where the periods should be can cause all sorts of trouble 😝

Actually, the scientific number format is my default format - I have a custom "Language & Text" setting, but since I am drifting on an iCloud I have to reset my custom settings over and over again. The OS helpfully resets all my settings to german, as soon as it discovers I am in Germany. 😝

O.K. so I just reset the decimal separators again to ".", but no difference in Aperture.

I'll post back, after I logged off and on again.

Cheers

Léonie

P.S. Lt. Tuvok, what is your decimal point setting in the Netherlands?

Apr 23, 2012 1:37 PM in response to Frank Caggiano

No luck sofar, Frank.

Language & Text Formats set to "United States (Computer)" - or do you use simply "United States" ?

The smart album (defined at the top of the Library Albums section, all filters cleared) remains empty, even if I know there is at least one image of that size.

If I search for a single digit it is o.k.

I'll repair the library and try again.

Léonie

Create a smart album with x MP photo's

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.